Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

Default font size in word equations (using 3.0 editor)

I am using standard (default) 3.0 equation editor in Word.

I am puzzled with the relationship between font sizes in an equation
and in paragraph text.

In a document I am using 10 pt New Times Roman font for text.

I need to set the "Full" symbol size in equations to 12 pts to match
the 10 pts in paragraphs.
(I blow up the doc 500% magnification and see that both symbols are
equall in size).

Why is this? What is the relationship between these sizes, for
different fonts?

I have read many postings throughout the years related to similar
topics, and notice that many people recommend using another editor.
That is not an option for me, unless the recommended editor is free!

thanks very much for your help
Evan

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

thanks - I have more insight into problem after playing around.
Resetting the size of an equation that is embedded in a paragraph of
text seems to do the right thing, i.e., 10 pt equation size = 10 pt
text size in paragraph. Yet resetting the size of a free-standing
equation does not seem to match. It seems to me that 12 pt equation
size (free standing) is same as 10 pt paragraph text size.

Furthermore, the sizing algorithm doesn't appear to be consistent.

Suppose there is a Full symbol with an overscore. That seems to get
"fitted" to the pt size requested, e.g., 10 or 12 pts.

But the symbol below the overscore is thus shrunk, as are all other
symbols without overscores in the same equation.

So the result is that the equation size looks too small.

Evan

How do I get a size 6 font in WORD 2003? PastorK8 Microsoft Word Help 3 June 5th 05 10:34 PM
Envelope Address GR New Users 5 April 24th 05 09:48 PM
Default font - possible bulletproof fix in Word 2003 [email protected] Microsoft Word Help 0 January 14th 05 09:14 PM