Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Mary Deaton

Default Template is always read-only, cannot save changes

WE have a workgroup template that is stored on a server. Both the folder and
the template have read-only properties. However, even if I go to the server,
remove the read-only property in Properties, open the template, make changes,
and try to save them, it refuses, telling me the file is read-only.

I also cannot rename, move, or delete the file without getting an error
message that the document is in use.

I have closed all Word docs, restarted my computer, checked with my
colleague and had him close all of his Word docs. It is not in Start-up, but
it is listed as a global template.

I can save a version to another folder on the same server or to a folder on
my desktop, but that subverts the purpose of a workgroup template, right?

I have searched for tmp and ~W* files and blown them away. What am I missing?
--
Mary Deaton
Consultant - Technical Communication Services Group
Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
BenJAMin

Most likely because your User Account on the server defaults your permissions
on that template. So the parent permission for that template is read only,
there fore when you want to create/save your permission level will not allow
it to happen because the parent permissio of the template.

Ask a system administrator who has "god" rights to change the permissions on
the file to read and write.