Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Kim F

Default How to sort an entire table in Microsoft Word 2003

I am trying to figure out how exactly to sort an entire table in alphabetical
order in Word 2003
Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Tony Jollans

If Table Sort doesn't meet your needs, you will probably need code. If so,
can you give some more details of exactly what you want, please.

--
Enjoy,
Tony

"Kim F" Kim wrote in message
news
I am trying to figure out how exactly to sort an entire table in
alphabetical
order in Word 2003

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

You can't sort an entire table, only one column at a time.

"Kim F" Kim wrote in message
news
I am trying to figure out how exactly to sort an entire table in
alphabetical
order in Word 2003

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Tony Jollans

Sorry, Suzanne, but I have to disagree. Maybe it's just the way you've
worded it but you can do a lot more than just sort one column at a time. You
can sort the rows in any block of cells in a table by up to three columns
within that block. What you can't do is sort columns by row.

What you also can't do, and maybe this is what you meant, is sort the whole
table cell by cell.

--
Enjoy,
Tony

"Suzanne S. Barnhill" wrote in message
You can't sort an entire table, only one column at a time.

so
all may benefit.

"Kim F" Kim wrote in message
news
I am trying to figure out how exactly to sort an entire table in

alphabetical
order in Word 2003

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
JoAnn Paules [MVP]

I think the OP wanted to sort things cell by cell.

--

JoAnn Paules
MVP Microsoft [Publisher]

"Tony Jollans" My Forename at My Surname dot com wrote in message
Sorry, Suzanne, but I have to disagree. Maybe it's just the way you've
worded it but you can do a lot more than just sort one column at a time.
You
can sort the rows in any block of cells in a table by up to three columns
within that block. What you can't do is sort columns by row.

What you also can't do, and maybe this is what you meant, is sort the
whole
table cell by cell.

--
Enjoy,
Tony

"Suzanne S. Barnhill" wrote in message
You can't sort an entire table, only one column at a time.

so
all may benefit.

"Kim F" Kim wrote in message
news
I am trying to figure out how exactly to sort an entire table in

alphabetical
order in Word 2003

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

That was my assumption. And it is true that you can sort by only one column
at a time. There can be primary, secondary, and tertiary sort keys, but
these columns are still sorted individually. When people want to sort "an
entire table," it is almost always that they've got a bunch of mailing
labels that they want to sort by last name, which would be a challenge in
the first place, even if the labels were all in one column.

"JoAnn Paules [MVP]" wrote in message
[...]

newsgroup
so
all may benefit.

"Kim F" Kim wrote in message
news I am trying to figure out how exactly to sort an entire table in
alphabetical
order in Word 2003

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Graham Mayor

Sorting mailing labels - if that is what the OP wanted to do - is more
easily achieved if you remove the table first -
http://www.gmayor.com/convert_labels...mail_merge.htm you can then use a
Wildcard search to swap first and last names
http://www.gmayor.com/replace_using_wildcards.htm then sort the list, swap
the first/last name again and re-merge to labels