Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

Default General questions regarding autorecover

I've got a couple of users who regularly crash word while copying and
pasting tables to and from documents. We rolled out a new document
management system recently and we've found that any document opened
from that system has the autorecover feature turned off. I've got
quite a bit of code to go through to find the culprit, but I was hoping
for some more general information about the autorecover option. I'm up
to speed on the purpose of autorecover (not a replacement for ctrl+s).
Here are my questions:

Where is the autorecover preference stored? normal.dot, template,
registry, settings file?
Can documents carry an autorecover setting with them?
Is it possible to toggle the autorecover setting in vba?

Thanks to anyone who can help.

Chad

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Tony Jollans

As far as I know, the answers are ...

Registry
No
Yes

This is a user setting under Tools Options Save.

I don't know how your Document Management system might turn it off for an
individual user except with code - but once it's off it will stay off - and
when turned on again should remain so until explicitly turned off. Are you
quite sure it's only off for documents from the DMS, and on for others?

--
Enjoy,
Tony

wrote in message
oups.com...
I've got a couple of users who regularly crash word while copying and
pasting tables to and from documents. We rolled out a new document
management system recently and we've found that any document opened
from that system has the autorecover feature turned off. I've got
quite a bit of code to go through to find the culprit, but I was hoping
for some more general information about the autorecover option. I'm up
to speed on the purpose of autorecover (not a replacement for ctrl+s).
Here are my questions:

Where is the autorecover preference stored? normal.dot, template,
registry, settings file?
Can documents carry an autorecover setting with them?
Is it possible to toggle the autorecover setting in vba?

Thanks to anyone who can help.

Chad

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

Thanks for your answers. It may not be the dms, but my testing seems
to point that way. If I enable autorecover in word, then close and
reopen, the setting stays (as expected). If I open a doc from my dms,
the setting gets turned off. If I do FileNew from the opened dms
document, and check the settings of the new blank document, autorecover
is turned on. If I switch back to the dms document, autorecover is
turned off. That's why I was wondering if word stored that setting in
the document. Otherwise, how could the autorecover setting be
different for two separate documents?

The dms executes quite a bit of code before the document is opened.
Custom doc properties get created/populated. Fields get updated. Lots
of stuff happens. I need to step through the code to find out where it
might be happening.

Do you happen to know offhand the vba to toggle the autorecover setting?

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Tony Jollans

It sounds like your dms is doing it via code - maybe it has a reason, maybe
it's just badly written.

To switch it off, set Options.SaveInterval = 0
To switch it on, set it to some other number.

--
Enjoy,
Tony

wrote in message
oups.com...
[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

Most of the users don't even know that autorecover exists. Those that
do tend to have a correct understanding of it's purpose (they've
learned from bitter experience). Thanks for providing the vba code.
I'll see if we can't incorporate that into the code that opens the
document. Thanks for both your suggestions. This has been very
helpful.

Chad