Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Nathan-bfhd

Default editing large documents with multiple users

I am part of a company that is constantly updating a very large Word Document
(over 700 pages - 25MB). This document is edited by many people in the
company who must at all times have the most current version, in the physical
form (printed pages) and electronic. This document uses styles and is in the
Article/Section format. It seems like there should be a way to use the
Outline formatting of the styles to record just what has changed and put that
in a much smaller document that could then be merged with the larger document
(old version that everyone else has) to complete the changes. For example,
If I change Article XIV, Section 14.01, (b) and it only involves 5 lines, why
not be able to save a Word document that is only 80K that has my changes as
well as all the Style information (which the full document should be able to
use to know where to insert the change) instead of having to save, upload,
and then have everyone download a 25MB file - that is a lot of wasted time
and resources. Does anybody out there know of some way to do this that would
simplify the editing/updating process?

Nathan