david

Default word 97 table now text

For three years, I have used several word 97 tables with mail merge to print
Christmas card envelopes. This year when I opened the tables to edit them,
they were text in a column, not a table. I tried using them with mail merge
and they work fine; however, the text column is hard to edit.

In windows explorer, I created a new folder and moved the files to that
folder. If I double click on one of the files in explorer, the file opens in
word 97 and is a table. When I open word 97 and then open the file, it is
the text column. I can not seem to find what is causing the files to be
different.

I am using winxp home sp2.

David

david

THANK YOU!

I looked and looked and looked but of course in the wrong place.

David

"Suzanne S. Barnhill" wrote in message
Unmistakable symptoms. See
http://word.mvps.org/FAQs/AppErrors/RecoverText.htm

so
all may benefit.

"david" wrote in message
For three years, I have used several word 97 tables with mail merge to

print
Christmas card envelopes. This year when I opened the tables to edit
them,
they were text in a column, not a table. I tried using them with mail

merge
and they work fine; however, the text column is hard to edit.

In windows explorer, I created a new folder and moved the files to that
folder. If I double click on one of the files in explorer, the file opens

in
word 97 and is a table. When I open word 97 and then open the file, it is
the text column. I can not seem to find what is causing the files to be
different.

I am using winxp home sp2.

David

Usually you get bitten by this one only once. After that you recognize the
symptoms. Word 2000 is the last version in which it causes much of a
problem; in Word 2002 and 2003, the file type is not "sticky"; it reverts to
All Files the next time you use File Open.

"david" wrote in message
THANK YOU!

I looked and looked and looked but of course in the wrong place.

David

"Suzanne S. Barnhill" wrote in message
Unmistakable symptoms. See
http://word.mvps.org/FAQs/AppErrors/RecoverText.htm