Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Conán

Default Cross references won't update.

Im having a problem with documents containing cross references. if the text
to which the reference changes, and then I close and open the document,
shouldn't the reference update automatically without me having to use F9?
They don't in my case. This seems to happen when i save the document locally;
if I save it to a document management system and open it from there, it
works fine.

Is this a known bug and, if so, can anyone help me with a solution.

Thanks!

Conán
Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Margaret Aldis

No, Word doesn't update cross references automatically. You can make sure
they are updated before printing by setting the Print Options. If you want
to make them update automatically on opening the document you can do it
using an AutoOpen macro, and it's also possible to use macro code to
automate an update on saving, but it sounds like you already have a workable
solution - use your document management system to manage your documents g.

--
Margaret Aldis - Microsoft Word MVP

"Conán" wrote in message
Im having a problem with documents containing cross references. if the
text
to which the reference changes, and then I close and open the document,
shouldn't the reference update automatically without me having to use F9?
They don't in my case. This seems to happen when i save the document
locally;
if I save it to a document management system and open it from there, it
works fine.

Is this a known bug and, if so, can anyone help me with a solution.

Thanks!

Conán

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Conán

Hi Margaret
Thanks very much for your prompt reply!

Still wondering why it works in the DMS but thankfully that's the client's
problem.

Cheers

Conán

"Conán" wrote in message
Im having a problem with documents containing cross references. if the
text
to which the reference changes, and then I close and open the document,
shouldn't the reference update automatically without me having to use F9?
They don't in my case. This seems to happen when i save the document
locally;
if I save it to a document management system and open it from there, it
works fine.

Is this a known bug and, if so, can anyone help me with a solution.

Thanks!

Conán

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Margaret Aldis

Hi Conán

DMS will have added lots of code around opening and saving documents, so has
probably included a field update in there somewhere - it's an omission one
nearly always needs to plug in formal templates.
--

"Conán" wrote in message
Im having a problem with documents containing cross references. if the
text
to which the reference changes, and then I close and open the document,
shouldn't the reference update automatically without me having to use
F9?
They don't in my case. This seems to happen when i save the document
locally;
if I save it to a document management system and open it from there, it
works fine.

Is this a known bug and, if so, can anyone help me with a solution.

Thanks!

Conán

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Conán