Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
JeffUnger

Default How do I index all words in a document?

Is there a way to have an index at the end of a document where all non-common
words (ie exclude the, at , is, if) without marking each word. I have a
large document. This is the kind of thing you might see at the end of the
textbook.

I worked hard with the help system and the office website, but to no avail.
Thank you in advance.
Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Jezebel

What you describe is called a concordance index: you create, as a separate
file, a list of the words you want to index: then use Word's AutoMark to tag
those words for you.

Instructions are in Word help under 'Create an index'. You can create a list
of all the words in your document by making a copy of the document, then
taking to it with Find and Replace: remove all non text matter and
punctuation, then replace all spaces with paragraph marks. Then paste the
list into Excel and do a unique sort. Then delete all the terms you don't
want to use for your index.

But this is NOT the kind of thing you would normally see at the end of a
textbook. It's a quick-and-dirty way to create an index and the result is,
not surprisingly, quick and dirty.