Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
aldago

Default Word Slowdown

My Word app has slowed significantly in everything. It takes a lot longer
than in the past to start, to open files, to save files, etc. If I click on
the open page too soon it turns white and fills the screen until it's ready
to accept direction. The rest of the office suite is fine. I've tried "detect
and repair." Don't know what else to try at this point except to reinstall
the app. Anyone have any suggestions?
Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Graham Mayor

Re-installing won't help much. It doesn't really do anything that repairing
won't achieve.

The virus scanner is a likely candidate. Checking of Word/Office documents
can usually be deselected in the AV program e.g. in Norton AV by turning off
its Office Plug-in.

With some versions of the Norton product it may be necessary to unregister
the calling DLL by running the following command line from Windows Start
Run

regsvr32 /u "c:\program files\norton antivirus\officeav.dll"
or
regsvr32 /u "c:\program files\norton systemworks\norton
antivirus\officeav.dll"

Other AV apps eg the popular free ediition of Grisoft's AVG antivirus
software, require similar treatment.
In this instance:

regsvr32 /u "C:\Program Files\Grisoft\AVG Free\avgoff2k.dll"

Right-click on the My Computer icon on the Windows desktop, left-click on
Disconnect Network Drive, and disconnect any mapped drives that are not
currently available.

Finally see http://www.gmayor.com/what_to_do_when_word_crashes.htm then
http://word.mvps.org/FAQs/AppErrors/...peningWord.htm