Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

Default Small document creates huge Word file

Hi folks...

I am adding figures and tables to a Microsoft Word document of less
than 75,000 words, which, as plain text, occupies "just" 1.2 MB on
disk. However, after putting just 3 figures and 11 tables in, the file
size has exploded to 159 MB!

The figures are simple JPGs (less than 100 KB each) and I link to their
files from Word, whereas the tables only contain text and are copied
from another file, where I created them initially and only used it for
storing them.

Any ideas as to what is happening?

Thanks,

Dimitris

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Charles Kenyon

Yes. You are putting image files in your documents. I would guess you
resized or cropped them within Word as well (this doubles the storage
required for the image). Word is not a good graphics program. It converts
jpgs into an internal bitmap configuration, I believe.
--
Charles Kenyon

from my ignorance and your wisdom.

wrote in message
oups.com...
Hi folks...

I am adding figures and tables to a Microsoft Word document of less
than 75,000 words, which, as plain text, occupies "just" 1.2 MB on
disk. However, after putting just 3 figures and 11 tables in, the file
size has exploded to 159 MB!

The figures are simple JPGs (less than 100 KB each) and I link to their
files from Word, whereas the tables only contain text and are copied
from another file, where I created them initially and only used it for
storing them.

Any ideas as to what is happening?

Thanks,

Dimitris

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

Hi...

Thanks for the reply. I am not sure how I put image files in my
document, as you say.

Do you mean that, with every table that I copy from one file to the
other, an entire bitmap is transfered? Even so, the entire source file
of each of the tables is 100KB - 200KB, whereas the 3 JPGs I have only
put in are less than 100KB each, as already explained.

I think it has to do with the tables, since I just copied over one more
and the document became 165 MB! An obvious solution is to recreate the
tables from scratch, but this will take a few hours and it is duplicate
work anyway.

Is there any cleverer solution?

Cheers,

Dimitris

wrote in message
oups.com...
Hi folks...

I am adding figures and tables to a Microsoft Word document of less
than 75,000 words, which, as plain text, occupies "just" 1.2 MB on
disk. However, after putting just 3 figures and 11 tables in, the file
size has exploded to 159 MB!

The figures are simple JPGs (less than 100 KB each) and I link to their
files from Word, whereas the tables only contain text and are copied
from another file, where I created them initially and only used it for
storing them.

Any ideas as to what is happening?

Thanks,

Dimitris

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

....and to complement my previous comment, I tried erasing a few
pictures and tables from teh document, and it remains at the same size.

I could surely use some ideas right now! :-)

Thanks,

Dimitris

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

Any more clues, anyone?

Thanks!

Dimitris

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

In the end, I 've found a workaround. Apparently the file was corrupted
somehow, so by copying everything apart from the last paragraph mark to
a new document did the trick.

Cheers,

Dimitris

WP merge file to Word sstires Tables 4 February 14th 06 06:26 PM
Envelope Address GR New Users 5 April 24th 05 09:48 PM
Templates gman Page Layout 17 April 22nd 05 06:35 PM