Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
toolmaker

Default Can I configure a hyperlink to create new doc from template on ser

Hi: Without using a macro, I'd like to configure a Word 2003 hyperlink to
point to a template at a server location and use it to create a new document.
In other words, to do the same thing that would happen if we double-clicked
on the file.dot in Windows Explorer.

Can this be done? If not, is there a macro or javascript function I can use
that I can send by Outlook 2003 e-mail message?
Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
John McGhie [MVP - Word and Word Macintosh]

Didn't we have that question last week? I know we did, because I answered
it :-)

Now I can't find the damn answer, which is probably why you're asking the
question :-)

Anyway: "No", you cannot easily do this, because a browser performs a "Get"
from the Server. To produce a document from a template, we need to hand
Word an "Open" command with a "New document from" parameter.

There are a variety of ways you can script your way around this, depending
on what you want to do. But before we go much further, let's ask the first
question: "Why do you need it to be a 'TEMPLATE'"?

You need a template only if you intend to link documents to it. Everything
else you can do with the "Document" file type. So if you were to store a
..doc instead of a .dot on the server, you wouldn't have to provide any more
than a standard link.

So: Why do you need a template?

Cheers

On 29/3/06 10:41 AM, in article
, "toolmaker"
wrote:

Hi: Without using a macro, I'd like to configure a Word 2003 hyperlink to
point to a template at a server location and use it to create a new document.
In other words, to do the same thing that would happen if we double-clicked
on the file.dot in Windows Explorer.

Can this be done? If not, is there a macro or javascript function I can use
that I can send by Outlook 2003 e-mail message?

me unless I ask you to.

John McGhie
Microsoft MVP, Word and Word for Macintosh. Consultant Technical Writer
Sydney, Australia +61 (0) 4 1209 1410

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
toolmaker

Default Can I configure a hyperlink to create new doc from template on

John:

The document is a form. The idea is to allow users to make a new form from
the template.

wrote:

Hi: Without using a macro, I'd like to configure a Word 2003 hyperlink to
point to a template at a server location and use it to create a new document.
In other words, to do the same thing that would happen if we double-clicked
on the file.dot in Windows Explorer.

Can this be done? If not, is there a macro or javascript function I can use
that I can send by Outlook 2003 e-mail message?

me unless I ask you to.

John McGhie
Microsoft MVP, Word and Word for Macintosh. Consultant Technical Writer
Sydney, Australia +61 (0) 4 1209 1410

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
John McGhie [MVP - Word and Word Macintosh]

Yeah: You don't need a template :-)

Put the form on the server as a Document. Problem solved :-)

Cheers

On 29/3/06 11:55 PM, in article
, "toolmaker"

How Come? Michael Koerner Mailmerge 9 February 10th 06 10:29 PM
difference between 'regular' template and global template? Jackie D Microsoft Word Help 7 July 15th 05 10:27 PM
How do I create a new template; not based on another template? Tamlyn Schmeisser Microsoft Word Help 2 July 2nd 05 12:08 AM
Templates gman Page Layout 17 April 22nd 05 06:35 PM
Autotext exclusive to a new template KM1 Microsoft Word Help 5 January 26th 05 12:01 AM