Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Brendan Vassallo

Default Password Protection on Word Documents

I previous colleague of mine has passwrod protected a document and has now
left the company without revealing the password.

Is there any way that the password protection can be removed if the password
is not known?
Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Graham Mayor

If the password is used to inhibit opening of the document then no. The
document is encrypted and you need the password. The simplest approach would
be to contact the former employee. There are software cracking solutions
that you could use at your own risk, but they are not as impressive as the
demos would suggest and for a complex password can take hours - or longer -
of processing to determine the password, and then you have the issue of
giving your credit card details to someone who cracks passwords!

Brendan Vassallo wrote:
I previous colleague of mine has passwrod protected a document and
has now left the company without revealing the password.

Is there any way that the password protection can be removed if the
password is not known?

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Brendan Vassallo

The password was used to protect the document so that it can be filled in as
a form. Is there a way to find out the password?

Brendan Vassallo wrote:
I previous colleague of mine has passwrod protected a document and
has now left the company without revealing the password.

Is there any way that the password protection can be removed if the
password is not known?

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

Use Insert | File to insert the document into a new blank document. This
will remove the protection.

"Brendan Vassallo" wrote in
message ...

Brendan Vassallo wrote:
I previous colleague of mine has passwrod protected a document and
has now left the company without revealing the password.

Is there any way that the password protection can be removed if the
password is not known?

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Valentin Bakran

Hi
We have the same problem at our company. I've tried your tip, but it doesn't
work. It still asks after the password. Depending on XP or the version of
Word?

Please advise!

Brendan Vassallo wrote:
I previous colleague of mine has passwrod protected a document and
has now left the company without revealing the password.

Is there any way that the password protection can be removed if the
password is not known?

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

This works only for form protection, not a password to open.

"Valentin Bakran" wrote in
message ...

"Suzanne S. Barnhill" skrev:

Use Insert | File to insert the document into a new blank document. This
will remove the protection.

newsgroup so
all may benefit.

"Brendan Vassallo" wrote in
message ...

Brendan Vassallo wrote:
I previous colleague of mine has passwrod protected a document and
has now left the company without revealing the password.

Is there any way that the password protection can be removed if

the
password is not known?

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
NAPALMFACE NAPALMFACE is offline

Brendan Vassallo wrote:
I previous colleague of mine has passwrod protected a document and
has now left the company without revealing the password.

Is there any way that the password protection can be removed if the
password is not known?

Dear Brendan,

I read your post. Most people do not realize that although they may have
encrypted their "whatevers" on their computers for security reasons. The
majority of the time if you go into the browsers password file you will find
someones passwords to everything 99% of the time.