Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Don Siegel, Rutgers U.

Default dots under characters

Notice the dots under the multiplications signs. I can't get rid of them.
The last one doesn't have it. I tried copying that one. It didn't work.
There's nothing in the style or character formatting. Nothing I do seems to
make these go away.
1.8 ×ï€* 10-11 mol B. 1.8 ×ï€* 10-9 mol C. 8.0 ×ï€* 10-6 mol D. 5.0 ×ï€* 10-12
mol E. 4.0 × 10-8 mol
Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
CyberTaz

Just guessing, Don -

Did you insert the symbol by way of MS Equation 3.0? If so, the 'dot' you
are seeing is displayed because you have the ¶s displayed in your doc. The
dot normally just represents a space, which in this case serves as a
'placeholder' for the inserted symbol. If you click the Show/Hide button the
dot will disappear, just like any of the other non-printing characters.

BTW - unless you need to use Equation editor for other reasons you can type
the symbol in by holding Alt while you type 0215 (on the Numeric Keypad).
That way it is a literal character rather than a graphic & the 'dot' won't be
inserted. Take a look at InsertSymbol for more if you aren't already aware
of it.

HTH |:)