Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
jezzica85

Default Commonalities between documents

I have no idea where this question should go, but I guess I'll try it here.
If you have two or three Word Documents, is it possible to monitor unique
words in the documents? Basically, if, say, the word "purple" is in one
document but not the other(s) you're comparing it to, can it be marked on the
screen and be able to change as you type (be unmarked if the word is added to
one of the other documents)?
Thanks!
Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Word Heretic

G'day jezzica85 ,

You can write a macro to do this, yes. It will be fairly slow. The
basis for the macro would be the code samples from www.editorium.com

We discuss building collections of the unique words with counts within
each document, it is a simple stretch to then include some batch
document processing (some examples at word.mvps.org/FAQs)

Steve Hudson - Word Heretic

Without prejudice

jezzica85 reckoned:

I have no idea where this question should go, but I guess I'll try it here.
If you have two or three Word Documents, is it possible to monitor unique
words in the documents? Basically, if, say, the word "purple" is in one
document but not the other(s) you're comparing it to, can it be marked on the
screen and be able to change as you type (be unmarked if the word is added to
one of the other documents)?
Thanks!

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
jezzica85

Sorry Steve, that wasn't helpful to me at all. I didn't see any code samples
for this anywhere. Maybe I can find it somewhere else, thanks for trying.

"Word Heretic" wrote:

[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
John McGhie [MVP - Word and Word Macintosh]

Hi Jessica:

Yeah. Well the code you are looking for is intensely complex, representing
some weeks of programming by an experienced programmer.

I am afraid I have a fairly "low" expectation that you will find anyone
willing to "give it away". If you sent Steve a "Business Email" he might be
prepared to write it for you: I wouldn't attempt it, it's beyond my
programming abilities.

However, a Word macro is not the approach I would take.

Microsoft's Index Server, built into Windows, enables you to retrieve this
kind of information directly for any document that it has compiled an index
for.

That's the approach I would take, because you already own Index Service and
you can already query it without writing any (or "much") code.

Go to the Microsoft website, and in the MSDN section read everything they
offer on IIS and Index Server in particular.

Cheers

On 31/3/06 5:38 PM, in article
, "jezzica85"

"Word Heretic" wrote:

[...]

me unless I ask you to.

John McGhie
Microsoft MVP, Word and Word for Macintosh. Consultant Technical Writer
Sydney, Australia +61 (0) 4 1209 1410