Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Troubled479

Default How to stop auto-formatting from changing to default on re-boot?

I keep unchecking the auto formatting options; and the button to Allow
Starting in Reading Layout; and the number under recently used file list.

Each time I reboot my settings are changed to default.

How can I make my settings permanent?
Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Graham Mayor

Is this a personal or company machine? If the former then it is probably
that your Word data key in the registry is corrupt. Delete it and Word will
create a new one - see http://www.gmayor.com/my_toolbars_are_missing.htm
(which shows the location of the data key).

I the latter you need to take it up with your IT department.

Troubled479 wrote:
I keep unchecking the auto formatting options; and the button to Allow
Starting in Reading Layout; and the number under recently used file
list.

Each time I reboot my settings are changed to default.

How can I make my settings permanent?

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Troubled479

Default How to stop auto-formatting from changing to default on re-boo

Graham:

It is my personal computer. I tried the "fix" but when I re-boot the
computer it still reverts to the default settings. I re-booted a couple of
times just to make sure.

Any other suggestions?

Troubled479 wrote:
I keep unchecking the auto formatting options; and the button to Allow
Starting in Reading Layout; and the number under recently used file
list.

Each time I reboot my settings are changed to default.

How can I make my settings permanent?

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Graham Mayor

You did delete the whole data key and not just the toolbar key?
I can't readily see any mechanism by which registry changes are routinely
wiped on a reboot.
It would be worth checking out the standard fixes
http://www.gmayor.com/what_to_do_when_word_crashes.htm then
http://word.mvps.org/FAQs/AppErrors/...peningWord.htm . Repair Word and
run chkdsk on your hard drive.

Troubled479 wrote:
I keep unchecking the auto formatting options; and the button to
Allow Starting in Reading Layout; and the number under recently
used file list.

Each time I reboot my settings are changed to default.

How can I make my settings permanent?

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Shauna Kelly

Hi Troubled, Graham

Another person on this newsgroup reported similar problems earlier this
week. He was using something called CCleaner, which is apparently a registry
"cleaner" available for free. It was deleting his Word data key, and his
settings with it.

The post is at:
http://groups.google.com/group/micro...7c419a625f848a

Hope this helps.

Shauna Kelly. Microsoft MVP.
http://www.shaunakelly.com/word

Troubled479 wrote:
I keep unchecking the auto formatting options; and the button to
Allow Starting in Reading Layout; and the number under recently
used file list.

Each time I reboot my settings are changed to default.

How can I make my settings permanent?

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Troubled479

I checke dtheother link and it was RIGHT ON TARGET. CC Cleaner was the
culprit. I like that program so I am going to see how the settingsd might be
changed so it does not cause this problem in WORD 2003. Many thanks to you,
Graham, for sticking with me!

By the way, do you recommend a registry cleaner? I think CC Cleaner is easy
to use and safe.

Steve

"Graham Mayor" wrote:

Ah! Impressive

Troubled479 wrote:
I keep unchecking the auto formatting options; and the button to
Allow Starting in Reading Layout; and the number under recently
used file list.

Each time I reboot my settings are changed to default.

How can I make my settings permanent?

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Shauna Kelly

Hi Steve

I've never felt a need for a registry cleaner, and the experience you and
the other recent poster have with CCleaner doesn't encourage me to try.

I will report the problem to www.ccleaner.com.

Shauna

"Troubled479" wrote in message
I checke dtheother link and it was RIGHT ON TARGET. CC Cleaner was the
culprit. I like that program so I am going to see how the settingsd might
be
changed so it does not cause this problem in WORD 2003. Many thanks to
you,
Graham, for sticking with me!

By the way, do you recommend a registry cleaner? I think CC Cleaner is
easy
to use and safe.

Steve

"Graham Mayor" wrote:

Ah! Impressive

Troubled479 wrote:
I keep unchecking the auto formatting options; and the button to
Allow Starting in Reading Layout; and the number under recently
used file list.

Each time I reboot my settings are changed to default.

How can I make my settings permanent?

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Graham Mayor

Generally speaking, if you don't understand the registry and its entries,
you should avoid 'cleaners' like the plague. One that I use occasionally is
registry rescue from http://www.pcprivacysoftware.com/ but whether I would
recommend it to you is another issue entirely.

Clearly CC Cleaner isn't safe as it is stripping Word's registry entries.
What else is it removing that you haven't discovered yet?

Troubled479 wrote:
I checke dtheother link and it was RIGHT ON TARGET. CC Cleaner was the
culprit. I like that program so I am going to see how the settingsd
might be changed so it does not cause this problem in WORD 2003. Many
thanks to you, Graham, for sticking with me!

By the way, do you recommend a registry cleaner? I think CC Cleaner
is easy to use and safe.

Steve

"Graham Mayor" wrote:

Ah! Impressive