Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Admintax8er

Default Office 2003 Linking

We are currently experiencing problems with the linking functionality
between Excel and Word 2003. I have defined a range in Excel, then
copied the range. I paste special the copied range into Word using the
"paste link" option and select Microsoft Office Excel for the type.
The problem arising when a user on another computer opens the 2 files,
the links are not longer valid. They have NA instead of Auto in the
Update column.

On occasion, if the user removes the normal file for Word and the same
for Excel, the links reappear.

Please help.

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
SVC

Where are the Word and Excel files located--on a network drive or the user's
hard drive? Are the links set up by the original users pointing to the
correct drive/folder (one accessible by both users)? Can the second user
"Change source" and get the links to work? Are the users using the same
templates? These are a few things that might affect the linking
functionality.

"Admintax8er" wrote:

We are currently experiencing problems with the linking functionality
between Excel and Word 2003. I have defined a range in Excel, then
copied the range. I paste special the copied range into Word using the
"paste link" option and select Microsoft Office Excel for the type.
The problem arising when a user on another computer opens the 2 files,
the links are not longer valid. They have NA instead of Auto in the
Update column.

On occasion, if the user removes the normal file for Word and the same
for Excel, the links reappear.

Please help.

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Admintax8er

The files are located inside a program called ProSystem. This is a
network program that hosts files on a central server and allows client
software to sync files or "Check Out" files for editing. So the files
are located on a server, however, the links are directed to a local
path on the users computer "C:\Pfx Engagement\WM\Workpapers\..." This
path is the same on all workstations.

Yes, the links are setup by the original user. The path mentioned
above is valid and accessible on all workstations.

I have not yet tried to "Change Source". I will try it as soon as it
happens again. If this resolves the issue, how do I prevent the user
from "Changing Source" every time? This has started happening in the
last two weeks. Before then (for several years) it worked fine.

The templates are the same.

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
SVC

I'm not familiar with ProSystem, but have the following thought: If the
Excel file is referenced in the same way for all users, but is not "checked
out" when attempting to update the links, this might explain the problem.
Word will expect the Excel file to be available in the exact same folder,
regardless of the drive. If it cannot find the folder/file, you will get N/A.
If you double-click on an actively linked table, you should bee taken to the
Excel file. Does this happen?

"Admintax8er" wrote:

The files are located inside a program called ProSystem. This is a
network program that hosts files on a central server and allows client
software to sync files or "Check Out" files for editing. So the files
are located on a server, however, the links are directed to a local
path on the users computer "C:\Pfx Engagement\WM\Workpapers\..." This
path is the same on all workstations.

Yes, the links are setup by the original user. The path mentioned
above is valid and accessible on all workstations.

I have not yet tried to "Change Source". I will try it as soon as it
happens again. If this resolves the issue, how do I prevent the user
from "Changing Source" every time? This has started happening in the
last two weeks. Before then (for several years) it worked fine.

The templates are the same.

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Admintax8er

ProSystem is not the issue. It is Excel and Word. This same problem
occurs outside of ProSystem. However, on the computer that displays NA
for the links, I can change source, browse to the folder the link is
looking in and select the same file listed in the link and everything
works fine. Why can't Word do the same? It is like Word is not even
attempting to find the link. The file is in the folder is in the
correct folder.