Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
JT401

Default Word 2000 how to delete "CR" after every line of imported doc?

How can I get rid of the "CR" (carriage return) after every line in a
document that was imported from a different application?

I receive many long e-mails that are formatted with a CR at the end of each
line, when I import them into Word they will not wordwrap correctly. How can
I correct or avoid this happening without spending hours manually
reformatting hundreds of these documents already on my computer?

Any ideas would be greatly appreciated.
Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Kevin B

Click on EDIT in the menu and select REPLACE. In the dialog box, click the
MORE command button, and then click the SPECIAL command button and from the
top of the list select PARAGRAPH MARK. You can then click the replace button
to manually delete them one at time or do a replace all
--
Kevin Backmann

"JT401" wrote:

How can I get rid of the "CR" (carriage return) after every line in a
document that was imported from a different application?

I receive many long e-mails that are formatted with a CR at the end of each
line, when I import them into Word they will not wordwrap correctly. How can
I correct or avoid this happening without spending hours manually
reformatting hundreds of these documents already on my computer?

Any ideas would be greatly appreciated.

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Idaho Word Man

You need to be careful of doing a "Replace All," since it may well make the
entire document a single paragraph, which will create problems of its own.

I go through a little more complex process when I have to convert documents
like this. My process is based on the assumption that there is usually a line
or paragraph break between paragraphs in a document like this. If there is
not a blank line between paragraphs, you will need to do something different.

First, I use the Replace function to change all instances of two spaces to a
single space. I often need to use the Change All option several times, since
there will be some places that have more than two spaces together.

When there are no more instances of two spaces together, I select the type
of character that ends each line (sometimes ^l, sometimes ^p, etc.) and
change all instance of that character to a space. ONLY RUN THIS FUNCTION ONE
TIME.

That should leave the entire document in a single huge paragraph, with
spaces where the paragraph or line breaks used to be (this way you don't run
words together), but there will be two spaces wherever paragraph breaks
occurred in the original.

Finally, use the Change function to change all instances of two spaces to a
paragraph break (^P). That should put paragraphs back where they were
originally.

Good luck,

Fred
_________________________
If you found this post useful, please answer "Yes" to the question "Was this
post helpful?" Thanks!

"JT401" wrote:

How can I get rid of the "CR" (carriage return) after every line in a
document that was imported from a different application?

I receive many long e-mails that are formatted with a CR at the end of each
line, when I import them into Word they will not wordwrap correctly. How can
I correct or avoid this happening without spending hours manually
reformatting hundreds of these documents already on my computer?

Any ideas would be greatly appreciated.

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Carol

See: http://word.mvps.org/FAQs/Formatting/CleanWebText.htm