Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
lisa

Default files are being saved to a folder I didnt' create, why?

the defaul (active) folder is "my documents" however, when I go to save as,
the automatic folder that comes up is a folder I never created and is listed
as a"briefcase" type. I am also then not able to always find this folder
unless I go to "my recent documents" when I go to open. can someone explain
what this folder is, because other things are in here and I don't know if I
can delete the entire folder
Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

What is the path for "Word documents" on the File Locations tab of Tools |
Options? That will be the default save folder for *new* documents. The
default folder for existing documents, however (when you use Save As), is
the folder where the open document is stored. If you have opened a document
from an email attachment, this will be a temp folder; if you save the
document there, it will be deleted when you close Word, so you *must*
navigate to My Documents or some other folder. If you open a file from a
removable disk (which you shouldn't do), then Word will default to saving
there.

"lisa" wrote in message
the defaul (active) folder is "my documents" however, when I go to save

as,
the automatic folder that comes up is a folder I never created and is

listed
as a"briefcase" type. I am also then not able to always find this folder
unless I go to "my recent documents" when I go to open. can someone

explain
what this folder is, because other things are in here and I don't know if

can delete the entire folder

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Dee

I am having a similar problem
when i trash email it goes into a folder that is saved on my computer ( i
did not designate this to happen)
i recently found this folder by accident and it had 2 yrs worth of deleted
emails of over 1.6 GB...no wonder my computer is running so slow
the problem is...i am not sure if the folder contains only email...it wount
let me open the files ( does not know what program to use)
i would like to just ppurge the entire folder
the folder is marks db
any suggestions?
Dee from NJ

"lisa" wrote in message
the defaul (active) folder is "my documents" however, when I go to save

as,
the automatic folder that comes up is a folder I never created and is

listed
as a"briefcase" type. I am also then not able to always find this folder
unless I go to "my recent documents" when I go to open. can someone

explain
what this folder is, because other things are in here and I don't know if

can delete the entire folder

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

Unless you explicitly delete files (by pressing Shift+Delete) or tell
Windows to skip it, they go to the Recycle Bin. Deleted emails go to the
Delete Items folder unless you press Shift while deleting. The folder you
describe may be something created by a document management application.

"Suzanne S. Barnhill" wrote:

What is the path for "Word documents" on the File Locations tab of Tools

Options? That will be the default save folder for *new* documents. The
default folder for existing documents, however (when you use Save As),

is
the folder where the open document is stored. If you have opened a

document
from an email attachment, this will be a temp folder; if you save the
document there, it will be deleted when you close Word, so you *must*
navigate to My Documents or some other folder. If you open a file from a
removable disk (which you shouldn't do), then Word will default to

saving
there.

newsgroup so
all may benefit.

"lisa" wrote in message
the defaul (active) folder is "my documents" however, when I go to

save
as,
the automatic folder that comes up is a folder I never created and is

listed
as a"briefcase" type. I am also then not able to always find this

folder
unless I go to "my recent documents" when I go to open. can someone

explain
what this folder is, because other things are in here and I don't know

if
can delete the entire folder

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Dee

I'm sorry
i failed to include that this is a problem with MSN email
it doesnt involve Win XP recycle bin
it is a folder set up within MSN called TRASH.
actually there are 2 folders
one saves email to MSN storage whcih is what i prefer
the other section -which was already there upon instalalation of MSN -saves
emails to folders on the computer HD.
Supposedly you can designate where you want to save them
I never designated to save to my HD

what is happeneing is:
i Trash an email...it goes into the MSN trash folder
when i empty that folder it is apparently going into the "Trash/folder on my
computer"
I do not know how to avoid this
the bigger problem is....
i cannot get rid of them once they are in the folder on my computer
they are automatically going into a db file
path is:
documents & settings/owner/ local settings/application data/microsoft/MSN/db

i need to know if i can purge that file without harm
files within that folder cannot be opened to check (Windows message-can't
find program that created it)
the properties window indicates the file size of this folder to be 1.6GB
i need to get rid of it to free up space-but need to know if that folder
contains something crucial to running the MSN software
i hope this clarifies the situation
thanks for your help
Dee from NJ

"lisa" wrote in message
the defaul (active) folder is "my documents" however, when I go to

save
as,
the automatic folder that comes up is a folder I never created and is
listed
as a"briefcase" type. I am also then not able to always find this

folder
unless I go to "my recent documents" when I go to open. can someone
explain
what this folder is, because other things are in here and I don't know

if
can delete the entire folder

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Graham Mayor

I don't see what this has to do with Word? You should never open Word
documents from e-mail applications. Save them to the hard drive and open
them from there.

Rename the folder to (say) olddb and then see what happens for a few days
normal use with the MSN application. If nothing untoward happens, delete it.
If it causes a problem, rename it back again to db.

"lisa" wrote in message
the defaul (active) folder is "my documents" however, when I go
to save as, the automatic folder that comes up is a folder I
never created and is listed as a"briefcase" type. I am also
then not able to always find this folder unless I go to "my
recent documents" when I go to open. can someone explain what
this folder is, because other things are in here and I don't know
if I can delete the entire folder

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Dee

i applogize...somehow with all my searching for a solution-i got off trqack
and wound up in the ms Word discussion
I did not belong here and should not have posted here
my problem pertains to MSN Premium online software
--
Dee from NJ