Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Pat Cantey III

Default High Memory Usage upon launch

I am using Word 2003 with Office SP2 installed. I have noticed high memory
usage after I launch the program. Task Manager reports 126 MB for
WINWORD.EXE with just a blank starting document. I have nothing loading from
the startup folder. I recall a few months ago this high mem usage was not
happening, it was down below 50MB for sure, maybe lower. Any ideas on what
to check?
Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
John McGhie [MVP - Word and Word Macintosh]

My first thought is "SpyWare or Virus"...

Take your antivirus, Ad-Aware, and SpyBot for a walk and see if they find
anything.

Note that the resting memory for Word 2003 sitting there doing nothing is
about 17 MB and 250 handles. If you are running Outlook, expect two of them
(so double that).

But 126 MB: Something very heavy is loading from somewhe check the sizes
of your Normal template, your Autocorrect ACL file and your Custom
Dictionary. These three are all resident in memory.

Sorry: Not an easy one.

On 2/4/06 1:33 PM, in article
, "Pat Cantey III" Pat
Cantey
wrote:

I am using Word 2003 with Office SP2 installed. I have noticed high memory
usage after I launch the program. Task Manager reports 126 MB for
WINWORD.EXE with just a blank starting document. I have nothing loading from
the startup folder. I recall a few months ago this high mem usage was not
happening, it was down below 50MB for sure, maybe lower. Any ideas on what
to check?

me unless I ask you to.

John McGhie
Microsoft MVP, Word and Word for Macintosh. Consultant Technical Writer
Sydney, Australia +61 (0) 4 1209 1410

Why CPU usage active when Word is idle tatu Microsoft Word Help 1 December 22nd 05 01:15 AM
Memory usage with Tables David Tables 7 July 18th 05 07:59 PM
CPU Usage When working with a Template I Created KM1 Microsoft Word Help 6 May 24th 05 04:38 PM
CPU Usage When Working with Templates you created KM1 Microsoft Word Help 3 May 21st 05 11:57 PM
CPU Usage While Creating or Modifying Your Own Template KM1 Microsoft Word Help 2 May 20th 05 04:41 PM