Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
marc

Default cut, copy, and paste inactive buttons?

Why are cut, copy, and past buttons showing greyed out, and inactive, when
composing a document in WORD 2003?
How can I turn them on or activate them for use in all types of documents?
Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Graham Mayor

The buttons are context sensitive. Do you have any text selected, or
anything on the clipboard?

marc wrote:
Why are cut, copy, and past buttons showing greyed out, and inactive,
when composing a document in WORD 2003?
How can I turn them on or activate them for use in all types of
documents?

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

Cut and copy are enabled only when text is selected. Paste is enabled only
when you have already cut or copied something.

"marc" wrote in message
Why are cut, copy, and past buttons showing greyed out, and inactive, when
composing a document in WORD 2003?
How can I turn them on or activate them for use in all types of documents?

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
marc

I've gotten used to my old Office 97 Pro(WIN98SE), where all tools were
available all the time, and noting was ever greyed out, unless you unchecked
and chose not to use a particular tool.
I thought maybe there was a more complete intstallation option I should have
selected, to provide all available tools; but the program information shows
that I don't have anything "disabled" in my settings, and all updates are
installed.
With Office 2003 (using WIN XP), I guess I'll have to adjust my routine.
Thanks for the reply.

marc wrote:
Why are cut, copy, and past buttons showing greyed out, and inactive,
when composing a document in WORD 2003?
How can I turn them on or activate them for use in all types of
documents?

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
marc

I have put text, and/or screen shots on the clipboard; but have to use
keyboard shortcut CTRL+V to paste it into a newly opened WORD document. Can't
find an active paste button, on the EDIT menu, the toolbar, nor
the right-click shortcut menu.
I guess it's something I have to get used to, after having used Office97Pro
for many years.
Thanks for the reply.

"marc" wrote in message
Why are cut, copy, and past buttons showing greyed out, and inactive, when
composing a document in WORD 2003?
How can I turn them on or activate them for use in all types of documents?

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

The Paste button should be available if you have anything on the Clipboard.
Some add-ins (such as the Microsoft Works Suite Add-in for Word) clear the
Clipboard on starting Word, but if that were happening, you wouldn't be able
to use Ctrl+V, either.

"Suzanne S. Barnhill" wrote:

Cut and copy are enabled only when text is selected. Paste is enabled

only
when you have already cut or copied something.

newsgroup so
all may benefit.

"marc" wrote in message
Why are cut, copy, and past buttons showing greyed out, and inactive,

when
composing a document in WORD 2003?
How can I turn them on or activate them for use in all types of

documents?

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
marc

My notebook computer did come with WORKS pre-installed; although I've never
used it. Do you think it could be causing a conflict with the WORD program?
Is it best to uninstall WORKS, if only MS Office programs are going to be
used; or is there a way to set WORD as the default word processing program?
When I buy a computer I usually personally select all software that is to be
installed, but this time I purchased it ready made because I needed it
sooner. Probably a mistake I'll continue to pay for in tech support
headaches; time will tell.

"marc" wrote in message
Why are cut, copy, and past buttons showing greyed out, and inactive,

when
composing a document in WORD 2003?
How can I turn them on or activate them for use in all types of

documents?

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

Works is not an issue. Works *Suite* comes with Word as the word processor
and includes the add-in in question. If you have only Works, you probably
don't have the add-in. If you do, however, it will be listed separately in
Add/Remove Programs, and you can uninstall it. I really don't think it's the
issue here, though.

"marc" wrote in message
Why are cut, copy, and past buttons showing greyed out, and

inactive,
when
composing a document in WORD 2003?
How can I turn them on or activate them for use in all types of

documents?

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
marc

On my program list, Office is listed separately; with WORD among the list of
programs under that heading.
Works doesn't say "suite" anywere, and under the heading of Works, there is
a "Microsoft Works Word Processor". I'll just leave it all installed, instead
of risking further corruption by uninstalling some common files I may need
later on.
As long as my old computer still worked, and others could open my
attachments, I didn't see the need to upgrade. Then the computer curled up
and died, so I bit the bullet and got the new stuff; which of course skipped
several generations of newer versions; that plunked me down in the land of
OZ, without any ruby slippers, so to speak.
Thanks for all your suggestions. I guess I'll just have to get used to all
of the updated programs, and study those HELP files.