Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Dana

Default How do I get back to my document b4 the latest save in Word 2002?

I accidentally saved over my daughters speech with a blank page in Word 2002.
I desperately need to get back to the document prior to that save. Does
anyone know how to do this?
Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Charles Kenyon

There is no way, short of a backup file that you specifically created. Start
retyping!
--
Charles Kenyon

from my ignorance and your wisdom.

"Dana" wrote in message
news
I accidentally saved over my daughters speech with a blank page in Word
2002.
I desperately need to get back to the document prior to that save. Does
anyone know how to do this?

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Stefan Blom

There are a couple of situations where you can restore a document
which has been saved (rather than saved as) after modification:

If you haven't closed the document after the save, you can use
EditUndo (or press Ctrl+Z) repeatedly to get back the original
version. Save it. Then Redo (Ctrl+Y) to restore the modified version
and use FileSave As to save this in a separate file.

If the document has only been saved once, and you've got "Always
create backup copy" selected on the Edit tab of ToolsOptions, then
you have a backup copy called Backup of filename.wbk. Since Word
backups represents the file "one save operation ago", this should be
useful.

--
Stefan Blom
Microsoft Word MVP

"Dana" wrote in message
news
I accidentally saved over my daughters speech with a blank page in
Word 2002.
I desperately need to get back to the document prior to that save.
Does
anyone know how to do this?

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Jezebel

If you have 'Always create backup copy' checked under Tools Options
Save then the folder containing the file will also contain a file called
'Backup of ....' which is the document as it was when you opened it.
(Assuming you opened the file, cleared it, then saved.)

Failing that, apologise profusely and run like hell.

"Dana" wrote in message
news
I accidentally saved over my daughters speech with a blank page in Word
2002.
I desperately need to get back to the document prior to that save. Does
anyone know how to do this?

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
PauwlL

If you had 'FAST SAVES' switched on, then there is still a chance...

Open the file using NOTEPAD.
Search for the start & end of the text your daughter put in the original.
Hopefully she typed it all in one sitting.

You can then copy & paste into a new word document.

Hope it helps.

Regards,

PauwlL

"Dana" wrote:

I accidentally saved over my daughters speech with a blank page in Word 2002.
I desperately need to get back to the document prior to that save. Does
anyone know how to do this?

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Charles Kenyon

If she deleted the document's contents and saved, this (and the other
solutions mentioned) may help. (Although if she has fast saves turned on,
she should turn it off!)

If she took a different document and saved it using the same name, the
original is as gone as it can be.