Paul Terrano

Default Difficulties with numbered headings

Win2000:Word2000

I am a simple person, with simple desires. I want the headings in
a book to look like the following. This is a different book and
arrangement then that discussed in an earlier thread several days
ago. I have followed Shauna Kelly's "How to create heading
numbering and outline numbering in Microsoft Word" To test the
formatting, I created a document containing only the lines shown
below and formatted the styles as described. I went through this
exercise twice with the same results.

Introduction

Part I: Menus

Chapter 1: Menu One

Chapter 2: Menu Two

Part II: Wizards

Chapter 3: Wizard One

Chapter 4: Wizard Two

Part III Appendices

Appendix A - Installation

Appendix B - Variables

Part, Chapter and Appendix are numbered headings as I understand
the term. There are un-numbered heading styles in both the
Chapters and Appendixes. The numbering is simple, in that there
is no requirement for paragraphs 2-3 or 4.1.3 or such.

Heading 1 is Chapter, at level 1, numbered in Arabic

Heading 2 is Part, at level 2, numbered in Roman

Heading 3 is Appendix, at level 3, numbered A, B, .

Headings 4-6 are additional chapter sub-heading styles, not
numbered

Headings 7-8 are additional appendix sub-heading styles, not
numbered

Heading 9 is for the Introduction, not numbered

The Chapter style insists on beginning with 2. The next two begin
with II and B, notwithstanding that in the lower right box in the
Numbering window they show 1, I and A. In the Customize Outline
Numbered List panel, the Number Format for level 1 is "Chapter 1:
". Levels 2 and 3 are similar. In the Preview window, all the
levels show as I would expect them to. Legal style numbering is
not checked and Restart numbering is not checked for any level.
The ListNum is named Book1.

The numbering difficulty may stem from my not understanding the
role of level. The docs say

Assign an outline level to a paragraph
Use outline levels when you don't want to change the appearance
of your text (the built-in heading styles apply specific
formatting, while the outline levels apply an "invisible"
format).

Am I a victim of invisible formatting or should I be restarting
something?

I think it's easier on Word and on you if you assign levels logically.
Obviously, your parts are a larger division than your chapters, so set them
up as Level 1 (and I would advise using Heading 1 for this purpose). Set
chapters as Heading 2/Level 2, but *don't* check the box for "Restart
numbering after Level 1." Use Heading 3 for the appendixes. For the rest,
use Heading styles or not as you choose; in any case, since they are not
numbered, they don't need to be part of your outline numbering scheme. For
the Introduction, I would be inclined to use a non-Heading style formatted
to be identical to Heading 2, including the Level 2 outline level, but
without numbering. The advantage of basing the style on Heading 2 is that it
automatically has an outline level, and the outline level is what determines
which paragraphs are picked up by your TOC. You can add an outline level to
any style, of course.

Given your present setup, however, what happens if you select your headings
and press Ctrl+Q? Does the numbering correct itself? Remember that whenever
you need to tweak the numbering, you must go in through the Level 1 style
(Chapter in this instance), and make sure that the numbering is set to start
at 1.

"Paul Terrano" wrote in message
[...]

Paul Terrano

This in the nature of a report rather than another plea for help.
I followed your suggestions, began with an empty document and
established three numbered headings, Part, Chapter and Appendix
at Levels 1, 2 and 3. I formatted the headings in the document
with Heading 1-3 and all appeared in order. I then created a TOC
for levels 1-3 and all the headings changed, each number
increasing by one. Ctrl+Q had no effect on this document, nor did
it have any effect on the previous one.

I went back into Customize Outline Number List which appeared
unchanged. However Levels 4-9 were still linked to the styles,
Heading 4-9, left over from yesterday. As an experiment, I linked
Levels 4-9 to (no style). I think it was when I deleted the TOC
that the numbering of the headings went back to I, 1, A. I
created a new TOC and the numbering stayed put. At least two
steps forward and no steps back.

I don't know how robust this numbering is, so I will do some more
tinkering today and report back.

"Suzanne S. Barnhill" wrote in message
[...]

newsgroup so
all may benefit.

[...]

Paul Terrano

I linked Levels 5 and 6 to styles Header 5 and 6 and much to my
disappointment nothing in the numbering changed. Out of an excess
of caution, I linked Level 4 to Heading 4 and mirabile dictu,
the numbering went bad. As soon as I unlinked Level 4 (leaving 5
and 6 still linked), the numbering corrected itself. The TOC may
not have anything to do with it.

I repeated the experiment. If I link Level 4 to Heading 4, as
soon as I click OK the numbering collapses. When I link Level 4
to (no styles), clicking OK restores the numbering.

In paragraph 2.1 of Shauna Kelly's"How to create..." she
discusses linking Levels to styles. She says "There's no harm in
doing all 9 Levels, even if you don't intend to use all 9".
However, she also says that this material is based on Word 2002
and Word 2003 so what I'm experiencing may well be an artifact of
Word 2000. I don't mind encountering problems that I can both
reproduce and correct.

[...]

Email cannot be acknowledged; please post all follow-ups to

the
newsgroup so
all may benefit.

[...]

Paul Terrano

Only the first 3 levels include numbering and there is no
numbering restart anywhere. I'm content to blame it on Word2000
and its many patches.