Mark

Default Captions and document corruption

Do captions cause documents to corrupt? I have been tearing my hair out
trying to generate a table of contents with multiple files in Word 2002 (XP
platform). The TOC stops generating (says "file is repaginating" and then
stops), typically on a page where I have a table with a caption. If I
remove the caption and cleanse the file (by saving as html and then back to
Word), it works fine. But if a put a caption back in, the problem starts
again. Is there a workaround, other than manually listing every table in a
500-page document?

LarryranTX

Because of several issues (like yours) with Figure and table "captions" in
Word, I created my own style for each. ( Direct the TOC to build the list of
figures and list of tables from the styles.)

This is the Figure number:

FigNum
Style for Next Paragraph: 1_Para
Font: (Default) Arial, 11 pt, English (U.S.), Kern at 11 pt, Centered, Line
spacing:
Exactly 12 pt, Space Befo 6 pt, After: 6 pt, Tabs: 0", List tab, Numbered +
Level: 1 + Numbering Style: 1, 2, 3, €¦ + Start at: 1 + Alignment: Left +
Aligned at...

It produces a centered bolded "Figure n" followed by two spaces. (The
"caption" text entered after the figure number is not bolded.) (Do not use
the Word "caption"!)

The style produces the default paragraph style when the [ENTER] key is
pressed at the completion of the caption text.