JPCT

Default merge data in a header or text box does not save

Are there special steps I should follow to use merge fields in a header or
text box within a template?

I have a mail merge field within and header and also within a text box. I
merge the data and all fields merge correctly. I then restore to a normal
word document, save and close and it appears to save with all the merged
data. However, when I recall that document, the data that was merged into
the header and text box has not been saved and I only see a representation of
the former merge field.

Any comments, suggestions will be appreciated.

Cindy M -WordMVP-

Hi ?B?SlBDVA==?=,

I admit to being somewhat confused by your problem description... But let's
start with the version of Word involved?

Are there special steps I should follow to use merge fields in a header or
text box within a template?

It's better to use a Frame (from the Forms toolbar) when working with fields in
Word. Merge fields will generally work OK in headers/footers EXCEPT when doing a
catalog/directory type of mail merge.

I have a mail merge field within and header and also within a text box. I
merge the data and all fields merge correctly. I then restore to a normal
word document, save and close and it appears to save with all the merged
data. However, when I recall that document, the data that was merged into
the header and text box has not been saved and I only see a representation of
the former merge field.

When you MERGE data, you merge to either the printer or to a new document. If
you still have mergefields, you haven't performed a merge. All you've done is to
PREVIEW the data. (This is why I'm a bit confused.) When you reset a merge
document to a normal Word document you lose the connection to the data source.
As soon as the fields update (header/footer update practically at the drop of a
hat), if there's no data base connection, you won't see the data preview.

So what you're trying to do can't work. You either need to
- execute the merge to a new document and save that
- lock or unlink the merge fields (before breaking the data connection)

Ctrl+A, Shift+Ctrl+F9 will break the link in the main body of the document
(including frames). You'd have to repeat this in the headers, footers and any
textboxes. You can also use a macro for this purpose; I think Graham Mayor may
have one on his website.

Cindy Meister
INTER-Solutions, Switzerland
http://www.word.mvps.org

in the newsgroup and not by e-mail :-)

JPCT

Thank you, this gives me useful information.

"Cindy M -WordMVP-" wrote:

[...]

How to protect text in header without disabling following header? Lady Tech Page Layout 1 January 22nd 05 12:57 AM
how to copy word document with header and paste in data base questioning Microsoft Word Help 1 January 18th 05 04:07 PM
Outline Renee Hendershott Page Layout 2 December 25th 04 02:49 PM
Merge Data Source path Peter Jamieson Mailmerge 0 November 25th 04 07:15 PM
Text Box instead of a Header Ned Ludd Microsoft Word Help 1 November 23rd 04 08:09 PM