Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
dacorintern

Default What does "ctrl+alt+-" do

I pressed "ctrl+alt+-", and it gave me a funny cursor (a bold horizontal
line). Then, I clicked on Insert, then Symbol. When I clicked on Symbol,
the weird cursor made Symbol go away. Now, I don't know how to get it back,
and I need to insert a Symbol.

Does anyone know how to get that option back?
Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Ann Scharpf

I don't quite understand the second part of your post, but CTRL-ALT-DASH
inserts a non-breaking hyphen.

"dacorintern" wrote:

I pressed "ctrl+alt+-", and it gave me a funny cursor (a bold horizontal
line). Then, I clicked on Insert, then Symbol. When I clicked on Symbol,
the weird cursor made Symbol go away. Now, I don't know how to get it back,
and I need to insert a Symbol.

Does anyone know how to get that option back?

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
dacorintern

I thought it did that too, but it just gave me a weird cursor. Then, with
the weird cursor, I tried to insert a symbol. Instead of opening up the
table of symbols when I clicked on that, it made that option completely
disappear from the drop-down menu. I don't know how to get it back!

"dacorintern" wrote:

I pressed "ctrl+alt+-", and it gave me a funny cursor (a bold horizontal
line). Then, I clicked on Insert, then Symbol. When I clicked on Symbol,
the weird cursor made Symbol go away. Now, I don't know how to get it back,
and I need to insert a Symbol.

Does anyone know how to get that option back?

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Margaret Aldis

Ctrl-Alt-hyphen on the normal keyboard is not the same as Ctrl-Alt-Num-
(minus on the numeric pad). The latter will give you the non-breaking
hyphen, but the former is a shortcut for the command to delete menu items -
which is what you've done. The "big minus" cursor will delete whatever menu
selection it next touches. It's a really confusing choice of shortcut which
catches a lot of people out (I've done it myself at least once!).

To restore whatever you deleted, see

http://word.mvps.org/FAQs/Customizat...oreMenuCmd.htm

--
Margaret Aldis - Microsoft Word MVP

news

"dacorintern" wrote:

I pressed "ctrl+alt+-", and it gave me a funny cursor (a bold
horizontal
line). Then, I clicked on Insert, then Symbol. When I clicked on
Symbol,
the weird cursor made Symbol go away. Now, I don't know how to get it
back,
and I need to insert a Symbol.

Does anyone know how to get that option back?

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

Ctrl+Shift+Hyphen gives you a nonbreaking hyphen. Ctrl+Alt+Num- gives you an
en dash. For more on Ctrl+Alt+Hyphen, see
http://sbarnhill.mvps.org/WordFAQs/LostSymbol.htm

"Margaret Aldis" wrote in
message ...