Posted to microsoft.public.word.pagelayout
Cathie

Default Using Word like PUblisher for laying out images

I am laying out images for an appendix to a dissertation. For the black and
white figures, I am using Word, because I want to automate the captions (Fig.
1 etc.). For colour plates, I am using Publisher (which I love) and this
works well, because conventionally they are referred to by plate number and
then a sub-letter (pl. 1a). I can easily automate the plate numbers, because
they are the page numbers of the PUblisher doc. For figures, the images are
usually referred to as individual figures rather than as a page and then
sub-letter (Fig. 1 as opposed to Fig. 1a). Thus, this is why I have decided
to use Word, where I can have captions automate this labelling of the
figures. Frustratingly, however, I find that when I insert images they jump
about, and quite often ruin the layout that had already been established
before I inserted an extra photo or drawing. This can mess up the captions
too. Is there any way of using Word in a manner more like Publisher? I.e.
so that images can be inserted onto black pages and 'stick' where you put
them? This is very frustrating. OR is there any way of getting some kind of
caption function in Publisher?
Posted to microsoft.public.word.pagelayout
Jezebel

Pictures jump around in Word because of the layout settings: select one,
right-click, select properties, and experiment with the settings on the
Layout tab. In particular, the Wrapping and Allow Overlap checkboxes.