Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Richard

Default Word File size?

I have a large Word 2000 doc 16,000 kb. I can cut a bunch of text from it &
sometimes the size reported even grows? How can I get a true file size? What
gives ...... ?

--
Later,

-- Richard --

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Margaret Aldis

If your file size is growing when you delete, the most likely reason is that
you are working with track changes on. You would also get this effect if you
use fast saves or file versions - both of which should be avoided as they
often lead to corruption.

The full list of possible reasons for large file size, as compiled by
Suzanne Barnhill, is:

1. Fast Saves: Disable this at on the Save tab of Tools | Options.

2. Preview Pictu Clear the check box on the Summary tab of File |
Properties.

3. Versions (File | Versions): Make sure "Automatically save version on
close" is not turned on.

4. Revisions (Tools | Track Changes):
Highlight Changes: Make sure "Highlight changes on screen" is turned on
(or that "Final Showing Markup" is displayed).
Accept/Reject Changes: If "Accept All" or "Reject All" is available then
revisions are present; accept or reject all changes, then turn Track Changes
off.

5. Embedded True Type fonts (Tools | Options | Save); embedding fonts should
be avoided wherever possible.

6. Embedded graphics: When feasible, it is preferable to link the graphics.
That is, when you insert the graphic, click the arrow beside Insert in the
Picture dialog and choose Link to File rather than Insert or Insert and
Link.

7. Embedded objects: These are even worse than ordinary graphics saved with
the document. If you see an { EMBED } code (with field codes visible), the
graphic
is an OLE object. Unless you need to be able to edit the object in place,
unlink it using
Ctrl+Shift+F9.

8. File format: Make sure you are saving as a Word document; in some cases
..rtf (Rich Text Format) files are significantly larger than .doc files.

9. Document corruption: See
http://www.mvps.org/word/FAQs/AppErrors/CorruptDoc.htm

"Richard" wrote in message
I have a large Word 2000 doc 16,000 kb. I can cut a bunch of text from it &
sometimes the size reported even grows? How can I get a true file size?
What gives ...... ?

--
Later,

-- Richard --

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Richard

Suzanne,

Thanks for all the tips. I already had everything the way you listed.

I saved it as a Web file & then back to a doc. It now grew to 23,800 KB?

What happened?
--
Later,

-- Richard --

"Margaret Aldis" wrote in
message ...

"Richard" wrote in message
I have a large Word 2000 doc 16,000 kb. I can cut a bunch of text from it
& sometimes the size reported even grows? How can I get a true file size?
What gives ...... ?

--
Later,

-- Richard --

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Margaret Aldis

If you've checked all your settings to avoid the build up of changes, it can
only be option 9, corrupt document, I think?

--
Margaret Aldis - Microsoft Word MVP