Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Joe McGuire

Default Dumping the task Pane

Is there a way to start Word without also starting the Task pane? My wife
and I never use it willingly and tend to close it when it first appears. I
am sure somebody in Redmond thinks it is pretty neat but mere mortals like
us have yet to discenr its usefulness. Even if it had any practical value,
it would get kicked aside anyway by other more practical things like Styles
or the Clipboard.

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

If clearing the "Show at startup" box in the task pane itself (Word 2002) or
the "Startup task pane" box on the View tab of Tools | Options (Word 2003)
does not have the desired effect, then you need to get the
TaskPaneController add-in from
http://word.mvps.org/FAQs/Customizat...owTaskPane.htm