Barnacle Bill

Default Opening WORD gives open dialog box error

When I open Word 2003 I get a box that says 'The Command cannot be performed
because a dialog box is open. Click OK, and then close open dialog boxes to
continue'. Click OK and Word loads and performs normally. Not too much of
a problem, but a pain in the butt. Anyone come across this and found the
solution. It happens if I start Word.exe or click on a *.doc file. Have
already uninstalled and reinstalled Office to no avail.

Thanks for any help.
garfield-n-odie

Hi, Barney. Disable the Office Plugin that comes with Symantec/Norton
AntiVirus. See http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=329820 "How to use Office
programs with the Norton AntiVirus Office plug-in" for more info.

"Barnacle Bill" wrote:

When I open Word 2003 I get a box that says 'The Command cannot be performed
because a dialog box is open. Click OK, and then close open dialog boxes to
continue'. Click OK and Word loads and performs normally. Not too much of
a problem, but a pain in the butt. Anyone come across this and found the
solution. It happens if I start Word.exe or click on a *.doc file. Have
already uninstalled and reinstalled Office to no avail.

Thanks for any help.

Doug Robbins

Try renaming the Normal.dot template to Normal.old and then re-start Word.
A new normal.dot template will then be created. Removing and re-installing
Word will not do this.

consulting basis.

Hope this helps,
Doug Robbins - Word MVP