Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Barb

Default automatic numbering doesn't restart

I have several files that I need to 'link' into one. However, when I insert
the 'linked file' the item numbering continues and I end up with lines
numbered "xxxx", "yyyy", "zzzz", instead of "a", "b", "c". I'm constantly
having to click the "restart numbering" to 'fix' it, but I know there has to
be a better way.

I AM using a generic style that does numbering that I've changed slightly
(from "1" to an "a"), which says in the layout that it "starts at: 1".

What am I missing?
Thanks...

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Barb

Thanks Suzanne....

But I've read thru that document several times and for some reason my mind
isn't grasping it. Can you give me the 'readers digest' version?

"Barb" wrote in message
I have several files that I need to 'link' into one. However, when I

insert
the 'linked file' the item numbering continues and I end up with lines
numbered "xxxx", "yyyy", "zzzz", instead of "a", "b", "c". I'm constantly
having to click the "restart numbering" to 'fix' it, but I know there has

be a better way.

I AM using a generic style that does numbering that I've changed slightly
(from "1" to an "a"), which says in the layout that it "starts at: 1".

What am I missing?
Thanks...

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

You need a higher-level style to restart the numbering automatically. This
can be any style (it doesn't have to be numbered) that predictably occurs
between runs of numbers. See
http://www.shaunakelly.com/word/numb...Numbering.html for
instructions to set up outline-numbered styles.

"Suzanne S. Barnhill" wrote:

See http://word.mvps.org/FAQs/Numbering/...artMethods.htm

newsgroup so
all may benefit.