Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Laura79

Default Edit text in box

I am using Word 2002 with Windows Me. Working on a document created by
someone else. The document contains numerous boxes that include
graphs/charts and words describing those graphs/charts. I want to edit the
words.
I have tried clicking on the box, then tried to select the text I want to
edit, but that is not working (won't let me select the text); also won't let
me use backspace or delete to remove characters; also won't let me type in
any new characters. Also tried double-clicking on the box. Also tried
right-clicking on the box. Also tried searching this website for previous
threads/answers on this.
Those are all the tricks I know. Anybody have a new trick for this old dog?

Thanks in advance for your help.

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
CyberTaz

What *does* happen when you try each of those 'tricks'?

If the answer is "Nothing at all.", one possibility is that you are dealing
with a doc that has Protection implemented. Take a look in the Tools Menu to
see if there is a command that reads "Unprotect Document" rather than
"Protect Document" - should that be the case you will probably need a
Password to make any changes to protected regions.

Otherwise, let us know what happens when you double-click, etc.

--
HTH |:)
Bob Jones

"Laura79" wrote in message
I am using Word 2002 with Windows Me. Working on a document created by
someone else. The document contains numerous boxes that include
graphs/charts and words describing those graphs/charts. I want to edit
the
words.
I have tried clicking on the box, then tried to select the text I want to
edit, but that is not working (won't let me select the text); also won't
let
me use backspace or delete to remove characters; also won't let me type in
any new characters. Also tried double-clicking on the box. Also tried
right-clicking on the box. Also tried searching this website for previous
threads/answers on this.
Those are all the tricks I know. Anybody have a new trick for this old
dog?

Thanks in advance for your help.

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Laura79

Good point - to let you know what *does* happen which I click.

In the Tools Menu, I have the option to "Protect Document" - so the document
is not protected. (I can make changes to the body text, just not the text
inside the boxes containing the graphs.)

When I single click (left click) in the box, the outline of the box doubles
(two parallel lines instead of one line making the box), with the markers at
the four corners and four sides.

When I put the cursor inside the box and click (which is what usually works
when I want to type at a certain point), nothing happens.

When I double click (left click) in the box, the "Format Picture" dialog
appears - the only tab greyed out is the Text Box tab.

When I single or double click (right click) in the box, a drop-down menu
appears that includes "Edit Picture" -- so, I tried that - it let me edit the
text inside the box, but all I did was add a single hyphen in one text box
(I'm not sure that's what it is -- the typing appears in its own little box
within the larger graph box) associated with one bar in the graph, and now
ALL the text boxes are too big to fit in the space where they fit before.
What did I do?? (P.S. I am in "Track Changes" mode, if that makes a
difference)

"Laura79" wrote in message
I am using Word 2002 with Windows Me. Working on a document created by
someone else. The document contains numerous boxes that include
graphs/charts and words describing those graphs/charts. I want to edit
the
words.
I have tried clicking on the box, then tried to select the text I want to
edit, but that is not working (won't let me select the text); also won't
let
me use backspace or delete to remove characters; also won't let me type in
any new characters. Also tried double-clicking on the box. Also tried
right-clicking on the box. Also tried searching this website for previous
threads/answers on this.
Those are all the tricks I know. Anybody have a new trick for this old
dog?

Thanks in advance for your help.

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
CyberTaz

It sounds like the charts were pasted in as Pictures - either WMFs or EMFs.
Editing them by right-clicking & choosing Edit Picture most likely produced
a dialog box that referred to converting to a MS Office drawing object, to
which you clicked Yes. Sound familiar so far?

That would produce the collection of editable text boxes. Modifying the
content of either might require repositioning and/or resizing it, but
shouldn't impact the others. Even with Track Changes turned on the editing
in any one box will cause markup just like editing text elsewhere, but the
boxes in the object are independent of each other. I'm not able to reproduce
your situation, but I'm running 2003 on XP, which _may_ make a difference in
how Track Changes behaves. What happens if you set the Display for Review to
'Final'?

I'm afraid you're probably in for a lot of fine tuning & adjustment if you
have much editing to be done.

--
Regards |:)
Bob Jones