Posted to microsoft.public.word.pagelayout
nikkiLR

Default Randomly indented text at the top of a page

A colleague asked for some help with a document that has a random indent on
the 1st line of a particular page. After trying some obvious things (removing
formatting, copying the text to a blank document) I came across a reference
http://word.mvps.org/FAQs/Formatting...lyIndented.htm on an earlier
thread here. The text in her document looks almost identical to the graphic
shown in terms of layout but I can't see a frame outline to remove it.

Does anyone know of any way to select the frame if I can't see it or, if
there really isn't a frame there, any other explanation for the indent?
(btw we use Word 2003)

Any help very gratefully received!
Nikki
Posted to microsoft.public.word.pagelayout
Stefan Blom

It isn't necessarily a frame; it could be some other floating object.
Note that you can click the Select Object button on the Drawing
toolbar and then drag the mouse (while holding the left mouse button)
to force a selection of objects you cannot directly "see". If you find
something, just press Delete to get rid of it.

If only one page is affected, the object is probably not in the header
or footer, but you can try the procedure with and without the
header/footer area activated. (Use View | Header and Footer to
activate the header/footer area.)

--
Stefan Blom
Microsoft Word MVP

"nikkiLR" wrote in message
[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.word.pagelayout
Herb Tyson [MVP]

On the Drawing toolbar, try clicking the Select Objects tool (usually, the
2nd tool from the left). That makes the pointer sensitive to/aware of
objects in the drawing layer.

--
Herb Tyson MS MVP
http://www.herbtyson.com
"nikkiLR" wrote in message
A colleague asked for some help with a document that has a random indent on
the 1st line of a particular page. After trying some obvious things
(removing
formatting, copying the text to a blank document) I came across a
reference
http://word.mvps.org/FAQs/Formatting...lyIndented.htm on an
earlier
thread here. The text in her document looks almost identical to the
graphic
shown in terms of layout but I can't see a frame outline to remove it.

Does anyone know of any way to select the frame if I can't see it or, if
there really isn't a frame there, any other explanation for the indent?
(btw we use Word 2003)

Any help very gratefully received!
Nikki

Posted to microsoft.public.word.pagelayout
nikkiLR

Thank you so much! It was the tiniest frame/object (Word claims it is 0cm x
0cm!) just hanging around at the top of the page but your method found it in
no time at all. It didn't even occur to me to use Select Object.

My sanity thanks you ;-)
Nikki

"nikkiLR" wrote in message
[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.word.pagelayout

As I believe the page says, you may be better able to see the outline of the
frame (or other object) if you have "Text boundaries" checked on the View
tab of Tools | Options. For objects in the drawing layer, however, the
Select Objects tool (as others have suggested) will doubtless be more
helpful.

"nikkiLR" wrote in message
A colleague asked for some help with a document that has a random indent

on
the 1st line of a particular page. After trying some obvious things

(removing
formatting, copying the text to a blank document) I came across a

reference
http://word.mvps.org/FAQs/Formatting...lyIndented.htm on an

earlier
thread here. The text in her document looks almost identical to the

graphic
shown in terms of layout but I can't see a frame outline to remove it.

Does anyone know of any way to select the frame if I can't see it or, if
there really isn't a frame there, any other explanation for the indent?
(btw we use Word 2003)

Any help very gratefully received!
Nikki

Posted to microsoft.public.word.pagelayout
Stefan Blom

Glad I could help.

--
Stefan Blom
Microsoft Word MVP

"nikkiLR" wrote in message
[...]

Creating dynamic cross reference links in a Word document torajudo Microsoft Word Help 5 April 27th 23 08:57 PM
Changing page number Denis Levesque Microsoft Word Help 4 April 11th 06 12:58 PM
Want to start page 1 numbering after five pages - how? RM Page Layout 6 April 5th 06 05:07 AM
adding pages MoJR Microsoft Word Help 23 February 28th 06 04:51 PM
A problem with text boxes and free space on the page [email protected] New Users 3 January 4th 05 09:39 PM