Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Bill

Default Using Ref. Document to create TOC for multiple documents

My initial question was about combining 35 chapters that are in separate
documents and manually formatted and one suggestion was using ref.doc with
ctrl-F9. So, I created a file TOC and within it a doc. called TOC and in it
I typed one under another 35 ref.doc fields using the name of each chapter.
Must I use the exact name of the chapter as it is in Word? Next, am I
supposed to copy each chapter into the TOC doc? 3rdly, within the 35
chapters, I have about 180 subtitles, must I create RD fields for them too.
Eventually, I want to put all this info into a web page and I don't want it
to be confusing or overwhelming. Right now, I'm the only one who's
overwhelmed.
Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

The RD field uses the filename (full path), not the title of the chapter,
and it will pick up all the headings within the file. So say you have named
your chapters Chapter1.doc, Chapter2.doc, and so on, the example given in
the "Field codes: RD (Referenced Document) field" Help topic suggests what
you could end up with:

{ TOC }
{ RD C:\\Manual\\Chapters\\Chapter1.doc }
{ RD C:\\Manual\\Chapters\\Chapter2.doc }
{ RD C:\\Manual\\Chapters\\Chapter3.doc }

If any part of the file path includes spaces, you must enclose the entire
path in quotation marks:

{ TOC }
{ RD "C:\\Manual\\Chapters\\Chapter 1.doc" }
{ RD "C:\\Manual\\Chapters\\Chapter 2.doc" }
{ RD "C:\\Manual\\Chapters\\Chapter 3.doc" }

The document that contains the TOC and RD fields should contain nothing
else. But I still maintain that it would be much simpler just to combine all
35 chapters into a single document.

"Bill" wrote in message
My initial question was about combining 35 chapters that are in separate
documents and manually formatted and one suggestion was using ref.doc with
ctrl-F9. So, I created a file TOC and within it a doc. called TOC and in

it
I typed one under another 35 ref.doc fields using the name of each

chapter.
Must I use the exact name of the chapter as it is in Word? Next, am I
supposed to copy each chapter into the TOC doc? 3rdly, within the 35
chapters, I have about 180 subtitles, must I create RD fields for them

too.
Eventually, I want to put all this info into a web page and I don't want

it
to be confusing or overwhelming. Right now, I'm the only one who's
overwhelmed.

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Bill

Well, I have 35 chapters i.e file folders and about 180 documents within
these chapters. Your first suggestion sent me to pubs.logicalexpressions.com
and there they suggested I buy sth. for $40 and your other suggestion was
boiler.dot add-in which I downloaded but I have no idea about macros and it
really sounded complicated. That's why I thought the RD would be easier.
However, you're right; I want the book in one document and a table of
contents where I can access each chapter and each title within just by
clicking. Do you still maintain that the Boiler.dot is the best way to go.

"Bill" wrote in message
My initial question was about combining 35 chapters that are in separate
documents and manually formatted and one suggestion was using ref.doc with
ctrl-F9. So, I created a file TOC and within it a doc. called TOC and in

it
I typed one under another 35 ref.doc fields using the name of each

chapter.
Must I use the exact name of the chapter as it is in Word? Next, am I
supposed to copy each chapter into the TOC doc? 3rdly, within the 35
chapters, I have about 180 subtitles, must I create RD fields for them

too.
Eventually, I want to put all this info into a web page and I don't want

it
to be confusing or overwhelming. Right now, I'm the only one who's
overwhelmed.

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

All that Boiler.dot does is automate the manual process of inserting files
into a single document. As I understand it, it lets you select files from an
Explorer Window in the order in which you want them combined. The macro then
automatically combines them. It doesn't do anything different from what you
could do by using Insert | File, selecting the file, and clicking OK,
repeatedly 35 times; it just makes it a lot easier!

Also, you are mistaken if you think the method described in the Logical
Expressions article requires you to buy something for $40. Although there
are some Google ads at the bottom of that page, the article is
self-contained and provides the information and macros you need (or might
want). If you don't know how to use the macros, you can see

"Suzanne S. Barnhill" wrote:

[...]

newsgroup so
all may benefit.