Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
RWFTOC

Default How do I link a Table of contents in a second document?

I have just completed a 5 volume report, and each volume is a separate
document with its own automatic table of contents. I wish to paste-link the
table of contents of the second, third, fourth, and fifth volumes into the
first volume, so that I can have a complete table of contents in volume one.
I have consulted a Word 2003 book and tried every(almost every) possibility
from setting bookmarks to cross-referencing, but without any success. I get
"bookmarks not defined" errors. Does anyone have a way to do this?
Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
garfield-n-odie [MVP]

See the "How to create a table of contents for several documents"
section at http://www.shaunakelly.com/word/toc/CreateATOC.html .

RWFTOC wrote:

I have just completed a 5 volume report, and each volume is a separate
document with its own automatic table of contents. I wish to paste-link the
table of contents of the second, third, fourth, and fifth volumes into the
first volume, so that I can have a complete table of contents in volume one.
I have consulted a Word 2003 book and tried every(almost every) possibility
from setting bookmarks to cross-referencing, but without any success. I get
"bookmarks not defined" errors. Does anyone have a way to do this?

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Venskj Venskj is offline

I'd like to ask a variation of the original question. Take the same
scenario of a 5 volume report. I want to bring their TOCs into a separate
document and display them as 5 separate TOCs. That is volume 1 toc, space,
volume 2 toc, space and so on. The page number is volume#-pg#.

When I use RD to do this, it bring in all five TOCs into each of the TOCs I
defined in the master document. I have to manually go delete the stuff I
don't want.

I've not found anything on this on the internet or MSFT knowlegebase
articles. MS-Word 2003.