Stefan Blom

Default Customizing Default Document

FWIW, I
suspect that the hyphenation setting is stored in the Registry
rather than
Normal.dot.

I just tested creating a custom template with the hyphenation option
enabled, and it seems to be working: Whenever I create a new file from
that template, hyphenation is enabled. Perhaps you are saying that you
believe it works differently for normal.dot?

--
Stefan Blom

"Suzanne S. Barnhill" wrote in message
For starters, see
http://word.mvps.org/FAQs/Customizat...alTemplate.htm.

FWIW, I
suspect that the hyphenation setting is stored in the Registry

rather than
Normal.dot.

newsgroup so
all may benefit.

"Phil James" wrote in message

Help!

I can customize paragraph format, font, and a few other things.

What I
can't customize is page layout (to give "first page different")

and turn
on
automatic hyphenation.

I tried to do this by modifying "Normal.dot" but Word won't let me

save
the
modified version nor delete the unmodified one.

How do I do this?

Phil

I would be pleased to believe it works this way. I just don't see anything
in the hyphenation dialog that suggests that the setting is being saved with
the document or that there is any way to save it in a template. But it would
make sense that it is stored in the document, and that if you open the
template and make the change there it would be stored with the template. In
that case, there is no reason that it should be any different for
Normal.dot. This would be clearer if there were hyphenation settings in
Tools | Options (on the Spelling and Grammar tab, which could become a
Language tab), since there are already settings there that are
language-specific (such as "Hide spelling errors in this document"). If
there were an "Add to template" option similar to the one in Format | Style
| Modify, that would be useful, too.

Since I don't ever use auto hyphenation, I'm not familiar with this feature,
and ISTR that in Publisher it is well-nigh impossible to set it even for an
entire document (seems to be a text-box-specific setting).

"Phil James" wrote in message

Help!

I can customize paragraph format, font, and a few other things.

What I
can't customize is page layout (to give "first page different")

and turn
on
automatic hyphenation.

I tried to do this by modifying "Normal.dot" but Word won't let me

save
the
modified version nor delete the unmodified one.

How do I do this?

Phil

Phil James

Thanks, Suzanne and Stephan.

Here's my experience:

You can create any custom template with any features you want -- except
Normal.dot! Try to save Normal.dot after modifying and you can't. Also,
you can't delete it or rename it, so you can't replace it. That problem is
what I'm trying to get around.

Any ideas?

Phil

Suzanne S. Barnhill wrote in message
I would be pleased to believe it works this way. I just don't see anything
in the hyphenation dialog that suggests that the setting is being saved

with
the document or that there is any way to save it in a template. But it

would
make sense that it is stored in the document, and that if you open the
template and make the change there it would be stored with the template.

In
that case, there is no reason that it should be any different for
Normal.dot. This would be clearer if there were hyphenation settings in
Tools | Options (on the Spelling and Grammar tab, which could become a
Language tab), since there are already settings there that are
language-specific (such as "Hide spelling errors in this document"). If
there were an "Add to template" option similar to the one in Format |

Style
| Modify, that would be useful, too.

Since I don't ever use auto hyphenation, I'm not familiar with this

feature,
and ISTR that in Publisher it is well-nigh impossible to set it even for

an
entire document (seems to be a text-box-specific setting).

so
all may benefit.

"Phil James" wrote in message

Help!

I can customize paragraph format, font, and a few other things.

What I
can't customize is page layout (to give "first page different")

and turn
on
automatic hyphenation.

I tried to do this by modifying "Normal.dot" but Word won't let me

save
the
modified version nor delete the unmodified one.

How do I do this?

Phil

See http://word.mvps.org/FAQs/Customizat...alTemplate.htm. You
cannot create Normal.dot (or a substitute for it that will work), but you
can certainly edit it. If you find that you can't delete or rename it, then
it's possible that it is saved in a network folder for which you don't have
the requisite permissions. This is *not* the way Normal.dot should be used;
see “You cannot share the Normal.dot file among multiple users in Word” at
http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=811468

"Phil James" wrote in message

Thanks, Suzanne and Stephan.

Here's my experience:

You can create any custom template with any features you want -- except
Normal.dot! Try to save Normal.dot after modifying and you can't. Also,
you can't delete it or rename it, so you can't replace it. That problem

is
what I'm trying to get around.

Any ideas?

Phil

Suzanne S. Barnhill wrote in message
I would be pleased to believe it works this way. I just don't see

anything
in the hyphenation dialog that suggests that the setting is being saved

with
the document or that there is any way to save it in a template. But it

would
make sense that it is stored in the document, and that if you open the
template and make the change there it would be stored with the template.

In
that case, there is no reason that it should be any different for
Normal.dot. This would be clearer if there were hyphenation settings in
Tools | Options (on the Spelling and Grammar tab, which could become a
Language tab), since there are already settings there that are
language-specific (such as "Hide spelling errors in this document"). If
there were an "Add to template" option similar to the one in Format |

Style
| Modify, that would be useful, too.

Since I don't ever use auto hyphenation, I'm not familiar with this

feature,
and ISTR that in Publisher it is well-nigh impossible to set it even for

an
entire document (seems to be a text-box-specific setting).

newsgroup
so
all may benefit.

"Phil James" wrote in message

Help!

I can customize paragraph format, font, and a few other things.
What I
can't customize is page layout (to give "first page different")
and turn
on
automatic hyphenation.

I tried to do this by modifying "Normal.dot" but Word won't let me
save
the
modified version nor delete the unmodified one.

How do I do this?

Phil

Phil James

Suzanne...

I was able to change the page layout for Normal.dot by doing that first
before changing the style and "saving to template." But the same approach
doesn't work for hyphenation.

I know you said you don't have much experience with automatic hyphenation,
but perhaps you can find something for me better than I can for myself. If
you go to ToolsLanguageHyphenation there's a dialog box which allows you
to make choices regarding hyphenation. Even if I select "Automatic
Hyphenation" before doing other things, the saved Normal.dot doesn't show it
like it shows the page layout.

Any further thoughts? Anyone you know who might?

Thanks again...

Phil

"Phil James" wrote in message

Help!

I can customize paragraph format, font, and a few other things.
What I
can't customize is page layout (to give "first page different")
and turn
on
automatic hyphenation.

I tried to do this by modifying "Normal.dot" but Word won't let

me
save
the
modified version nor delete the unmodified one.

How do I do this?

Phil

Stefan Blom

I just tested, and if I open normal.dot as a file, via FileOpen, I
can certainly enable hyphenation for it, save and then get hyphenation
enabled for each new blank document. I can't explain why it doesn't
work for you, though. A bug affecting certain releases of Word,
perhaps? In my opinion, the fact that other changes are allowed
supports this theory.

--
Stefan Blom

"Phil James" wrote in message

Thanks, Suzanne and Stephan.

Here's my experience:

You can create any custom template with any features you want --

except
Normal.dot! Try to save Normal.dot after modifying and you

can't.
Also,
you can't delete it or rename it, so you can't replace it. That

problem
is
what I'm trying to get around.

Any ideas?

Phil

Suzanne S. Barnhill wrote in message
I would be pleased to believe it works this way. I just don't

see
anything
in the hyphenation dialog that suggests that the setting is

being
saved
with
the document or that there is any way to save it in a

template. But it
would
make sense that it is stored in the document, and that if you

open the
template and make the change there it would be stored with the

template.
In
that case, there is no reason that it should be any different

for
Normal.dot. This would be clearer if there were hyphenation

settings
in
Tools | Options (on the Spelling and Grammar tab, which could

become a
Language tab), since there are already settings there that are
language-specific (such as "Hide spelling errors in this

document").
If
there were an "Add to template" option similar to the one in

Format |
Style
| Modify, that would be useful, too.

Since I don't ever use auto hyphenation, I'm not familiar with

this
feature,
and ISTR that in Publisher it is well-nigh impossible to set

it even
for
an
entire document (seems to be a text-box-specific setting).

Email cannot be acknowledged; please post all follow-ups to

the
newsgroup
so
all may benefit.

"Phil James" wrote in message

Help!

I can customize paragraph format, font, and a few other

things.
What I
can't customize is page layout (to give "first page

different")
and turn
on
automatic hyphenation.

I tried to do this by modifying "Normal.dot" but Word

won't let
me
save
the
modified version nor delete the unmodified one.

How do I do this?

Phil

Phil James

Stefan...

That's encouraging news. I'll try it again.

You're right: If all the other stuff works I don't see a reason that that
wouldn't.

Phil

"Phil James" wrote in message

Help!

I can customize paragraph format, font, and a few other

things.
What I
can't customize is page layout (to give "first page

different")
and turn
on
automatic hyphenation.

I tried to do this by modifying "Normal.dot" but Word

won't let
me
save
the
modified version nor delete the unmodified one.

How do I do this?

Phil

Phil James

Stefan...

Just tried it again. I open a new document, change the hyphenation, change
the page layout, change style (a font), check "add to template," then get
out of the nested instructions, and yes, the hyphenation (and everything
else) is present for that document. But if I delete it and get a new one,
everything stays except the hyphenation option. Unless somebody comes up
with a better idea, I guess I'll just have to change it for each document --
though that seems as if it should be unnecessary.

I'm running Windows 98 Second Edition and Office 2000 on an IBM ThinkPad
A27m. Know of any quirks with any of those items?

Thanks for trying!

Phil

PS: I might just post that particular question and see if anybody else
responds.

"Phil James" wrote in message

Help!

I can customize paragraph format, font, and a few other

things.
What I
can't customize is page layout (to give "first page

different")
and turn
on
automatic hyphenation.

I tried to do this by modifying "Normal.dot" but Word

won't let
me
save
the
modified version nor delete the unmodified one.

How do I do this?

Phil

Stefan Blom

You cannot transfer hyphenation settings via "Add to template", since
it's not a style thing, but a global document property. You can change
the template if you open it via FileOpen, but for existing documents
you need to perform the change manually for each document.

--
Stefan Blom

"Phil James" wrote in message

> [...]

to the
newsgroup so
all may benefit.

"Phil James" wrote in

message

Help!

I can customize paragraph format, font, and a few

other
things.
What I
can't customize is page layout (to give "first page

different")
and turn
on
automatic hyphenation.

I tried to do this by modifying "Normal.dot" but

Word
won't let
me
save
the
modified version nor delete the unmodified one.

To add to what Stefan has said, if the template in question is Normal.dot,
then you will have to open Normal.dot for editing and make the change there.

"Phil James" wrote in message

> [...]

to the
newsgroup so
all may benefit.

"Phil James" wrote in

message

Help!

I can customize paragraph format, font, and a few

other
things.
What I
can't customize is page layout (to give "first page
different")
and turn
on
automatic hyphenation.

I tried to do this by modifying "Normal.dot" but

Word
won't let
me
save
the
modified version nor delete the unmodified one.

Phil James

Finally got it to work. I think what I was doing was trying to save
Normal.dot in one of the My Documents files. When I called it up from its
own location and saved it back there after revision, everything worked fine.

Thanks, both of you, for your help!

Phil

"Phil James" wrote in message

> [...]

to the
newsgroup so
all may benefit.

"Phil James" wrote in

message

Help!

I can customize paragraph format, font, and a few

other
things.
What I
can't customize is page layout (to give "first page
different")
and turn
on
automatic hyphenation.

I tried to do this by modifying "Normal.dot" but

Word
won't let
me
save
the
modified version nor delete the unmodified one.

Stefan Blom

You're welcome.

--
Stefan Blom

"Phil James" wrote in message

Thanks, Suzanne and Stephan.

Here's my experience:

You can create any custom template with any features

you
want --
except
Normal.dot! Try to save Normal.dot after modifying

and you
can't.
Also,
you can't delete it or rename it, so you can't replace

it.
That
problem
is
what I'm trying to get around.

Any ideas?

Phil

Suzanne S. Barnhill wrote in

message
> [...]

all may benefit.

"Phil James" wrote in
message

Help!

I can customize paragraph format, font, and a

few
other
things.
What I
can't customize is page layout (to give "first

page
different")
and turn
on
automatic hyphenation.

I tried to do this by modifying "Normal.dot"

but
Word
won't let
me
save
the
modified version nor delete the unmodified

Default font - possible bulletproof fix in Word 2003 [email protected] Microsoft Word Help 0 January 14th 05 09:14 PM
Default document Michelle Page Layout 5 January 9th 05 04:13 AM
Some word document open in A4 format. I want by default to be in . JPR Page Layout 4 December 22nd 04 08:06 PM
Send document as attachment changes default Outlook format candyjo Microsoft Word Help 0 December 2nd 04 05:21 PM
Default printer for a document Scott Microsoft Word Help 1 November 29th 04 06:38 PM