Posted to microsoft.public.word.tables
Latham

Default Calculations in a word table

I cannot find where to enter and where to update calculations in a word
table. Specifically I want to total specific cells in a row and place it at
the end of that row. Next I want to do the same for columns.
Posted to microsoft.public.word.tables
Stefan Blom

Use Table | Formula. In the formula you are creating, use Excel-like
notation for referring to individual cells; in other words: A, B, C,
.... refers to the columns and 1, 2, 3, ... to the rows.

Note that the Table | Formula command inserts a = (formula) field
which you can insert manually (by pressing Ctrl+F9).

To edit a formula field, just press Alt+F9, change the codes by
typing, press F9 to update, and then press Alt+F9 again to hide field
codes.

--
Stefan Blom
Microsoft Word MVP

"Latham" wrote in message
I cannot find where to enter and where to update calculations in a

word
table. Specifically I want to total specific cells in a row and

place it at
the end of that row. Next I want to do the same for columns.

Posted to microsoft.public.word.tables
Stefan Blom

To sum the values in a row, you can use the { = SUM(LEFT) } field in
the cell on the far right. Similarly, to sum the values in a column,
use { = SUM(ABOVE) } in the bottom cell of that column.

To enter the above formulas, type them in the Formula dialog box, or
insert them into the cells directly using Ctrl+F9 to add the field
delimiters, { }.

Use F9 to update fields. If necessary, press Alt+F9 to show/hide field
codes.

Note that cells which are empty may cause trouble with the SUM
function; make sure to type 0 (zero) instead of leaving cells blank.

--
Stefan Blom
Microsoft Word MVP

"Latham" wrote in message
I cannot find where to enter and where to update calculations in a

word
table. Specifically I want to total specific cells in a row and

place it at
the end of that row. Next I want to do the same for columns.

Posted to microsoft.public.word.tables
macropod

Hi Latham,

In Word tables, calculations are usually done via formula fields or macros.
Unless you're using a document that's been set up as a protected form,
neither of these approaches delivers the kind of automatic calculations you
can get with applications like Excel.

If you want to see what can be done with formula fields for a wide range of
calculations in Word, check out my Word Field Maths 'tutorial', at:
http://www.wopr.com/cgi-bin/w3t/show...?Number=365442

Cheers

--
macropod