Posted to microsoft.public.word.pagelayout
Sandy

Default Conditional Information in Header/Footer

Hey, all!

I am trying to create a template for a first report for my company. On the
top of any pages after page 1, I need the header to contain the page #, the
name of the customer, and the date. However, I want the name of the customer
to auto-complete after it is entered on the first page, so they don't have to
go into the header every time and enter the customer's name. I've been using
the Form toolbar to create my auto-text information, but it won't let me use
that toolbar in the header/footer. Any suggestions?
Posted to microsoft.public.word.pagelayout

If your template is a protected form, select the appropriate form field and
apply a custom character style; then use a StyleRef field in the Header
(having enabled "Different first page"). For more, see
http://sbarnhill.mvps.org/WordFAQs/StyleRef.htm

"Sandy" wrote in message
Hey, all!

I am trying to create a template for a first report for my company. On

the
top of any pages after page 1, I need the header to contain the page #,

the
name of the customer, and the date. However, I want the name of the

customer
to auto-complete after it is entered on the first page, so they don't have

go into the header every time and enter the customer's name. I've been

using
the Form toolbar to create my auto-text information, but it won't let me

use
that toolbar in the header/footer. Any suggestions?

Posted to microsoft.public.word.pagelayout
Sandy

The section of the document you referenced specifically states that StyleRef
will NOT work in the header/footer of a protected sheet. That is what I need
it to do - work in my header/footer.

"Sandy" wrote in message
Hey, all!

I am trying to create a template for a first report for my company. On

the
top of any pages after page 1, I need the header to contain the page #,

the
name of the customer, and the date. However, I want the name of the

customer
to auto-complete after it is entered on the first page, so they don't have

go into the header every time and enter the customer's name. I've been

using
the Form toolbar to create my auto-text information, but it won't let me

use
that toolbar in the header/footer. Any suggestions?

Posted to microsoft.public.word.pagelayout

No, it says that a REF field won't work, which is why the StyleRef field is
useful.

"Suzanne S. Barnhill" wrote:

If your template is a protected form, select the appropriate form field

and
apply a custom character style; then use a StyleRef field in the Header
(having enabled "Different first page"). For more, see
http://sbarnhill.mvps.org/WordFAQs/StyleRef.htm

newsgroup so
all may benefit.

"Sandy" wrote in message
Hey, all!

I am trying to create a template for a first report for my company.

On
the
top of any pages after page 1, I need the header to contain the page

#,
the
name of the customer, and the date. However, I want the name of the

customer
to auto-complete after it is entered on the first page, so they don't

have
go into the header every time and enter the customer's name. I've

been
using
the Form toolbar to create my auto-text information, but it won't let

me
use
that toolbar in the header/footer. Any suggestions?

Posted to microsoft.public.word.pagelayout
Sandy

You are a GENIUS!!

Worked like a charm. Thanks for your help!!