Posted to microsoft.public.word.tables
Erich Wolodzko Erich Wolodzko is offline

Default Removing Outline Numbering from TOC

Sorry. I'm using Word 2003 (Windows XP SP2).

"Erich Wolodzko" wrote:

I know this may be a sacrilege endeavor from a formatting standpoint, but it
doesn't hurt to ask...

I am trying to create a document template to help our editors in creating
our reports. Currently they do everything manually. Sadly, they have some
quirky practices that they may refuse to change. They use legal numbering
throughout, but in the table of contents they use no numbering. For example,
€śIII.A.1 Executive Summary€ť would appear in the table of contents as just
€śExecutive Summary€ť.

In the new document template, outline numbering is applied through the
heading styles as recommended. When the TOC generates, it pulls all the text
from the heading lines, including the numbering. Is there a nifty way to
prevent the numbering from showing up in the TOC, or should I just have the
editors (or a macro) manually remove them after their final update, just
before publishing?