Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Kevryl Kevryl is offline

Default Maximise unmaximisable dialog boxes

One of my most consistent frustrations is the inability to maximise dialog
boxes (eg open and save files) in order to see the whole directory...sorry
"folder", or more importantly a whole filename and path. I'm doing a
mailmerge right now, and the "straw" that has prompted me to post is that I
just can't tell which file or path the original merge file is connected to,
simply because someone in Microsoft decided I should only be allowed to have
a little dialog window and not be able to maximise or extend it.

Such an annoyance!

Has anyone come across a utility or add-in to allow maximising or extending
of these dialogs?

Thanks, Keith
Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Cindy M -WordMVP- Cindy M  -WordMVP- is offline

Hi ?B?S2V2cnls?=,

One of my most consistent frustrations is the inability to maximise dialog
boxes (eg open and save files) in order to see the whole directory...sorry
"folder", or more importantly a whole filename and path. I'm doing a
mailmerge right now, and the "straw" that has prompted me to post is that I
just can't tell which file or path the original merge file is connected to,
simply because someone in Microsoft decided I should only be allowed to have
a little dialog window and not be able to maximise or extend it.

Which version of Word are we discussing?

Cindy Meister
INTER-Solutions, Switzerland
http://www.word.mvps.org

in the newsgroup and not by e-mail :-)

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
[email protected] carlhein@gmail.com is offline

Hi Cindy

I ahve the same requirement for Word 2003.

Thanks,

Carl

Cindy M -WordMVP- wrote:
Hi ?B?S2V2cnls?=,

One of my most consistent frustrations is the inability to maximise dialog
boxes (eg open and save files) in order to see the whole directory...sorry
"folder", or more importantly a whole filename and path. I'm doing a
mailmerge right now, and the "straw" that has prompted me to post is that I
just can't tell which file or path the original merge file is connected to,
simply because someone in Microsoft decided I should only be allowed to have
a little dialog window and not be able to maximise or extend it.

Which version of Word are we discussing?

Cindy Meister
INTER-Solutions, Switzerland
http://www.word.mvps.org

in the newsgroup and not by e-mail :-)

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

In Word 2002 and 2003, you can maximize these dialogs by double-clicking the
title bar. They can also be resized by dragging the bottom right corner.

wrote in message
ups.com...
Hi Cindy

I ahve the same requirement for Word 2003.

Thanks,

Carl

Cindy M -WordMVP- wrote:
Hi ?B?S2V2cnls?=,

One of my most consistent frustrations is the inability to maximise

dialog
boxes (eg open and save files) in order to see the whole

directory...sorry
"folder", or more importantly a whole filename and path. I'm doing a
mailmerge right now, and the "straw" that has prompted me to post is

that I
just can't tell which file or path the original merge file is

connected to,
simply because someone in Microsoft decided I should only be allowed

to have
a little dialog window and not be able to maximise or extend it.

Which version of Word are we discussing?

Cindy Meister
INTER-Solutions, Switzerland
http://www.word.mvps.org

or reply
in the newsgroup and not by e-mail :-)

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Kevryl Kevryl is offline

Hi Cindy,
Sorry - I'm on Word 2000, but of course its an Office-wide function, isn't
it?. I probably should have posted in the Office group. I'm hoping I can find
an add-in utility somewhere that will modify or add to the existing
functionality. It seems from others posts here that Microsoft have responded
in later versions to this silly restriction. Thats good. One day I might
upgrade, but don't plan to spend that kind of money for a while.
Thanks, and regards, Keith

"Cindy M -WordMVP-" wrote:

Hi ?B?S2V2cnls?=,

One of my most consistent frustrations is the inability to maximise dialog
boxes (eg open and save files) in order to see the whole directory...sorry
"folder", or more importantly a whole filename and path. I'm doing a
mailmerge right now, and the "straw" that has prompted me to post is that I
just can't tell which file or path the original merge file is connected to,
simply because someone in Microsoft decided I should only be allowed to have
a little dialog window and not be able to maximise or extend it.

Which version of Word are we discussing?

Cindy Meister
INTER-Solutions, Switzerland
http://www.word.mvps.org

in the newsgroup and not by e-mail :-)

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Cindy M -WordMVP- Cindy M  -WordMVP- is offline

Hi ?B?S2V2cnls?=,

I'm on Word 2000

I'm doing a
mailmerge right now, and the "straw" that has prompted me to post is that I
just can't tell which file or path the original merge file is connected to,

At least for this I can give you a little macro that will display the information
for Word docs or Excel sheets

Sub DisplaySELECTInfo()
MsgBox ActiveDocument.MailMerge.DataSource.QueryString
End Sub

Cindy Meister
INTER-Solutions, Switzerland
http://www.word.mvps.org

This reply is posted in the Newsgroup; please post any follow question or reply in
the newsgroup and not by e-mail :-)

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Kevryl Kevryl is offline

Thanks Cindy, I'll give that a try, tho I'm not quite sure how to enter and
use it.
Many thanks,
Keith

"Cindy M -WordMVP-" wrote:

Hi ?B?S2V2cnls?=,

I'm on Word 2000

I'm doing a
mailmerge right now, and the "straw" that has prompted me to post is that I
just can't tell which file or path the original merge file is connected to,

At least for this I can give you a little macro that will display the information
for Word docs or Excel sheets

Sub DisplaySELECTInfo()
MsgBox ActiveDocument.MailMerge.DataSource.QueryString
End Sub

Cindy Meister
INTER-Solutions, Switzerland
http://www.word.mvps.org

This reply is posted in the Newsgroup; please post any follow question or reply in
the newsgroup and not by e-mail :-)

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
[email protected] carlhein@gmail.com is offline

Hi Cindy

I tested your hint and it worked.

My specific problem is with the cross reference dialog, which is
severly size impaired.
The trick does not seem to work here.

Any suggestions?

Regards,

Carl-Hein

wrote in message
ups.com...
Hi Cindy

I ahve the same requirement for Word 2003.

Thanks,

Carl

Cindy M -WordMVP- wrote:
Hi ?B?S2V2cnls?=,

One of my most consistent frustrations is the inability to maximise

dialog
boxes (eg open and save files) in order to see the whole

directory...sorry
"folder", or more importantly a whole filename and path. I'm doing a
mailmerge right now, and the "straw" that has prompted me to post is

that I
just can't tell which file or path the original merge file is

connected to,
simply because someone in Microsoft decided I should only be allowed

to have
a little dialog window and not be able to maximise or extend it.

Which version of Word are we discussing?

Cindy Meister
INTER-Solutions, Switzerland
http://www.word.mvps.org

or reply