Posted to microsoft.public.word.tables
ucmlamb ucmlamb is offline

Default Create summary Formula field that automatically updates

I have a table and I would like to be able to calculate the sum of a column.
I added a Formula field but it requires that you manually update the field
for the calculation to take place. Is there a way to cause this "Total"
field to update automatically if any of the values in the column change -
similar to how it works in Excel.
Posted to microsoft.public.word.tables
Greg Maxey Greg Maxey is offline

No. Not with your current method.

You can a. embed an excel sheet or b. use formfields with calculate on
exit enabled in a protected form.

ucmlamb wrote:
I have a table and I would like to be able to calculate the sum of a column.
I added a Formula field but it requires that you manually update the field
for the calculation to take place. Is there a way to cause this "Total"
field to update automatically if any of the values in the column change -
similar to how it works in Excel.

Posted to microsoft.public.word.tables
ucmlamb ucmlamb is offline

Thanks for your help:
a. I tried inserting an Excel sheet but once imbedded it also requires a
manual update - unless I am doing something wrong.
b. I cannot find any documentation on how to create a formfield that does
calculations on other field/column values - can you help here? Also if I
convert the document to a form can I still use Mail Merge to create the form
and fill in other fields?

ucmlamb wrote:
I have a table and I would like to be able to calculate the sum of a column.
I added a Formula field but it requires that you manually update the field
for the calculation to take place. Is there a way to cause this "Total"
field to update automatically if any of the values in the column change -
similar to how it works in Excel.

Posted to microsoft.public.word.tables
Greg Maxey Greg Maxey is offline

a. You must be doing something wrong. Did you use InsertObjectExcel
Worksheet create new?

b. (Part I) See the series of articles he
http://word.mvps.org/FAQs/TblsFldsFms/LinesInForms.htm

(Part II) Not sure. Mail merge is not a strong suit. You will
have to try or wait on anotther person to answer.

ucmlamb wrote:
I have a table and I would like to be able to calculate the sum of a column.
I added a Formula field but it requires that you manually update the field
for the calculation to take place. Is there a way to cause this "Total"
field to update automatically if any of the values in the column change -
similar to how it works in Excel.

Posted to microsoft.public.word.tables

See the following Knowledgebase article:

WD2002: Text Form Fields Are Not Retained During Mail Merge

at

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/286841/en-us

--
Hope this helps.