Posted to microsoft.public.word.tables
kikilein kikilein is offline

Default sorting text in table

Hi All,

I have the following issue:

I have a table of lets say 3 rows and 3 columns.

In the first column is the "Sport type" second column has one "Company name"
and the third column has a list of names in it (one table cell). The names
in the third column are usually written with firstname lastname and sometimes
the middle initial between the firstname and lastname followed by a period.

Soccer Soccergear Lucy Davids
Lucas M. Rolland
Louis-Walla McIntire
Swimming SquidSwim Antoine Crevis
Simone B. Lusche
Lack T. Speed
Faihly Quick

How can I sort the names in each cell (for example: Lucy Davids, Lucas M.
Rolland, Louis-Walla McIntire) by the last name?

The number of names vary in each row.

After much help from this community I found a way to do it in Excel,
however, I actually need it done in Word. Is there a way?

Posted to microsoft.public.word.tables
Cindy M -WordMVP- Cindy M  -WordMVP- is offline

Hi ?B?a2lraWxlaW4=?=,

This can't be done in Word without editing the third column; it's the possible
middle initial that's the problem. Either the last name must precede the first
name (Davids, Lucy) or you need to put the last names in a fourth column.

I have a table of lets say 3 rows and 3 columns.

In the first column is the "Sport type" second column has one "Company name"
and the third column has a list of names in it (one table cell). The names
in the third column are usually written with firstname lastname and sometimes
the middle initial between the firstname and lastname followed by a period.

Soccer Soccergear Lucy Davids
Lucas M. Rolland
Louis-Walla McIntire
Swimming SquidSwim Antoine Crevis
Simone B. Lusche
Lack T. Speed
Faihly Quick

How can I sort the names in each cell (for example: Lucy Davids, Lucas M.
Rolland, Louis-Walla McIntire) by the last name?

Cindy Meister
INTER-Solutions, Switzerland
http://www.word.mvps.org

in the newsgroup and not by e-mail :-)