Simeon Nevel

Default Word 2002 (XP) attempt to contact DNS server at start-up

HI All..

My copy of Word 2002 (running on XP SP1) always tries to contact some
DNS server when I start it up.

My copy of Zone Alarm warns me every time.

I block it, but Word then takes forever to open.

Is there anyway to stop this behaviour? I've snorkeled thru the Options
menu w/o finding anything on point.

I've tried googling and the MS Knowledge Base but any query w/ "access"
(as in "DNS Access") gets me loads of useless (to me) links to MS Access
information.

A clue would be vastly appreciated.

adTHANKSvance

Simeon

Chuck Davis

My copy of Word 2002 (running on XP SP1) always tries to

contact some
DNS server when I start it up.

My copy of Zone Alarm warns me every time.

I block it, but Word then takes forever to open.

Is there anyway to stop this behaviour? I've snorkeled

thru the Options
menu w/o finding anything on point.

I've tried googling and the MS Knowledge Base but any

query w/ "access"
(as in "DNS Access") gets me loads of useless (to me)

links to MS Access
information.

A clue would be vastly appreciated.

adTHANKSvance

Simeon

.

Sorry about that previous blank post.

First download McAfee's Stinger. It will scan for and
remove any of 40 or more worms and viruses.
http://vil.nai.com/vil/stinger/

Follow with: download, update, and scan with Ad-aware SE:
http://www.lavasoftusa.com
Fo

Simeon Nevel

RWN wrote:
What address is it trying for?

It turns out that Word is attempting to contact the primary DNS server
for my ISP (Cox.Net).

I have no idea *why* word insists on doing this and I'd love to be able
to turn off the behaviour.

Simeon

Many people have complained about Word trying to "phone home." I'm not sure
what the explanation would be in Word 2002, but in Word 2003, where much of
the Help and almost all of the clip art are online, this is understandable
if you have not disabled the online options. And if you have signed on for
the CEIP (Customer Experience Improvement Program), which periodically sends
use data to MS, then this is another reason Word might try to connect
(though it should be doing this only when you are already connected).