Posted to microsoft.public.word.tables
Ed Sheehan Ed Sheehan is offline

Default Convert Text to Table

I need to convert fixed-width text, delimited by spaces, to a table. I'll
end up with 5 columns. The layout is below, and I need the columns to be
placed like this (it won't look right if you're not reading this with a
fixed pitch font):

| | | |
v v v v
000000 CN 1
111111 AC
333333 AC
444444 CN 1
555555 CN 1
666666 CN 1
777777 AC
888888 CN 1

I've tried several times to convert this using convert text to table, but I
end up with, shall we say, displeasing results. I can put it to Excel and
drag column guides and it's fine, but can't word manage the same thing?

Thanks,

Ed

Posted to microsoft.public.word.tables
Jezebel Jezebel is offline

Easier to import it into Excel first (which has a fixed-width parser), then
copy and paste into Word (where it will end up as a table).