Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Michael Michael is offline

Default page numbering

How do I get my document to start printing pages numbers beginning with
the third page of the document, but start the count at one?

When I look under the HELP function, it only shows how to skip the first
page . . .

Thanks

Michael

--
"Careful. We don't want to learn from this." - Calvin
Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Ruth Ruth is offline

To put page numbering in but not on first page i.e. Index

€¢ Make sure your cursor is on the first page at the end of text/page
€¢ Click on Insert menu then click on Break
€¢ Click in the Section Break Types €“ Next Page Click OK
€¢ Ensure your cursor is on 2nd page
€¢ Click on View Menu
€¢ Click on Header and Footer
€¢ Click on Switch between Header and Footer on the Header/Footer toolbar,
until you are on the Footer
€¢ On the Header and Footer toolbar click on Link to Previous, this should
switch the link off
€¢ Click insert page number on the Header / Footer toolbar
€¢ Click on Format Page Number on the Header / Footer toolbar, and put a dot
next to the start at words then place the no 1 into the start at: space.
Click on OK
€¢ Centre your numbering at this stage if you want in the normal way clicking
on centre on the normal formatting toolbar.
€¢ Click on close on the Header Footer toolbar
€¢ Change to print preview on the file menu to see the finished effect.

If you find the numbering is only showing on alternate pages

€¢ Click on File menu
€¢ Click on Page Setup
€¢ Click on Layout tab
€¢ Take the tick out from next to Different first page, or Different odd and
even.
€¢ Click on OK

Hope this helps
Ruth