Posted to microsoft.public.word.tables
Richard Richard is offline

Default Positioning autoshapes in tables

I'm having difficulty with the vertical positioning of an autoshape in a
table. I'm trying to do this with the up/down cursor keys and the shape jumps
erratically, moving a small distance with the first keystroke and then a
bigger amount with the second. This makes it impossible to align the shape
exactly in the midle of the cell: it's either too high or too low.

The shape also "walks" to the right with each press of the up/down key.

Any suggestions?
Posted to microsoft.public.word.tables
Cindy M -WordMVP- Cindy M  -WordMVP- is offline

Hi ?B?UmljaGFyZA==?=,

I'm having difficulty with the vertical positioning of an autoshape in a
table. I'm trying to do this with the up/down cursor keys and the shape jumps
erratically, moving a small distance with the first keystroke and then a
bigger amount with the second. This makes it impossible to align the shape
exactly in the midle of the cell: it's either too high or too low.

The shape also "walks" to the right with each press of the up/down key.

Any suggestions?

Right-click. Format AutoShape/Layout/Advanced and set the position by typing
values in the dialog box.

Cindy Meister
INTER-Solutions, Switzerland
http://www.word.mvps.org

in the newsgroup and not by e-mail :-)

Posted to microsoft.public.word.tables
Richard Richard is offline

Thanks, Cindy. That works - but it's a lot more cumbersome than positioning
the shape with the cursor keys, which is what I used to be able to do.

Richard.

"Cindy M -WordMVP-" wrote:

Hi ?B?UmljaGFyZA==?=,

I'm having difficulty with the vertical positioning of an autoshape in a
table. I'm trying to do this with the up/down cursor keys and the shape jumps
erratically, moving a small distance with the first keystroke and then a
bigger amount with the second. This makes it impossible to align the shape
exactly in the midle of the cell: it's either too high or too low.

The shape also "walks" to the right with each press of the up/down key.

Any suggestions?

Right-click. Format AutoShape/Layout/Advanced and set the position by typing
values in the dialog box.

Cindy Meister
INTER-Solutions, Switzerland
http://www.word.mvps.org

in the newsgroup and not by e-mail :-)

Posted to microsoft.public.word.tables
Cindy M -WordMVP- Cindy M  -WordMVP- is offline

Hi ?B?UmljaGFyZA==?=,

That works - but it's a lot more cumbersome than positioning
the shape with the cursor keys, which is what I used to be able to do.

At least you can get this particular job done while researching the problem :-)

Now, is this happening only in the one document? Only when a table is involved, or
pretty much anywhere? Do you see the same thing whether or not text is in the table
cell? Where is the shape's anchor? Does it "jump" when the Shape jumps? (In order to
see the anchor, make sure the checkbox is activated in Tools/Options/View. When you
select the shape, the anchor should appear to the left of some text - either in a
margin or next to the text in the table cell)

I'm having difficulty with the vertical positioning of an autoshape in a
table. I'm trying to do this with the up/down cursor keys and the shape jumps
erratically, moving a small distance with the first keystroke and then a
bigger amount with the second. This makes it impossible to align the shape
exactly in the midle of the cell: it's either too high or too low.

The shape also "walks" to the right with each press of the up/down key.

Cindy Meister
INTER-Solutions, Switzerland
http://www.word.mvps.org

This reply is posted in the Newsgroup; please post any follow question or reply in
the newsgroup and not by e-mail :-)

Posted to microsoft.public.word.tables
Richard Richard is offline

Cindy,

Sorry for the delayed response!

It happens in all Word docs, but only when I move the autoshape into a
table, or into the margin alongside the table. As I move the shape up or down
with the cursor keys within this area, it drifts to the right until it leaves
the page completely.

The anchor remains fixed in the left margin if the shape is outside the
table, but jumps from cell to cell if the shape is in the table or in the
margin alongside the table, remaining one or two cells to the left of the
shape.

The shape behaves the same way whether or not there's text in the table.

Regards,

Richard.

Hi ?B?UmljaGFyZA==?=,