Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
jezzica85 jezzica85 is offline

Default Importing files that update

Hi everybody,
I know how to make multiple documents into one by importing them, but one
thing I don't know--if I import a file, but want to keep one version separate
from the combined file, will the imported version update once the separate
version is saved again, or will I have to re-import it? If I have to
re-import, is there any way to make the update automatic?

ex. a + b = ab
a becomes A, so when saved ab should become Ab

Thanks!
Jezzica85
Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Jezebel Jezebel is offline

What you describe is the intended functionality of master documents. a and b
are your subdocuments; ab is the master document. Unfortunately (unless it's
been fixed in W2007) the master document function has never really worked.

"jezzica85" wrote in message
Hi everybody,
I know how to make multiple documents into one by importing them, but one
thing I don't know--if I import a file, but want to keep one version
separate
from the combined file, will the imported version update once the separate
version is saved again, or will I have to re-import it? If I have to
re-import, is there any way to make the update automatic?

ex. a + b = ab
a becomes A, so when saved ab should become Ab

Thanks!
Jezzica85

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
John McGhie [MVP - Word and Word Macintosh] John McGhie [MVP - Word and Word Macintosh] is offline

Hi Jessica:

It depends HOW you insert the document.

Use InsertFileand check "Link to File". The object you insert is a
"reference" to the original. You can edit it in either place and it will
update in the other.

Alternatively, use the InsertObjectMicrosoft Word DocumentFrom File. The
object you insert is a COPY. You can edit it within your document, but it
will not update the original.

Look up "Linking" in the Word Help for more information.

Cheers

On 7/8/06 4:52 PM, in article
, "jezzica85"
wrote:

Hi everybody,
I know how to make multiple documents into one by importing them, but one
thing I don't know--if I import a file, but want to keep one version separate
from the combined file, will the imported version update once the separate
version is saved again, or will I have to re-import it? If I have to
re-import, is there any way to make the update automatic?

ex. a + b = ab
a becomes A, so when saved ab should become Ab

Thanks!
Jezzica85

me unless I ask you to.

John McGhie
Microsoft MVP, Word and Word for Macintosh. Consultant Technical Writer
Sydney, Australia +61 (0) 4 1209 1410

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Jay Freedman Jay Freedman is offline

The answer depends on how you "imported" the separate file.

- If you used the Insert File command and just clicked the Insert
button in that dialog, then the combined document will _not_ update.
The answer is the same if you copied from the separate document and
pasted into the combined document.

- If you used the same dialog, but you clicked the down arrow next to
the Insert button and chose Insert As Link, then the combined document
_will_ update with any changes in the separate document. This method
creates an IncludeText field in the combined document, which contains
the path and file name of the separate document.

--
Regards,
Jay Freedman

On Sun, 6 Aug 2006 23:52:01 -0700, jezzica85
wrote:

Hi everybody,
I know how to make multiple documents into one by importing them, but one
thing I don't know--if I import a file, but want to keep one version separate
from the combined file, will the imported version update once the separate
version is saved again, or will I have to re-import it? If I have to
re-import, is there any way to make the update automatic?

ex. a + b = ab
a becomes A, so when saved ab should become Ab

Thanks!
Jezzica85

Blank box when importing EPS files into Word 2003 LuckyLuke Microsoft Word Help 6 August 3rd 06 12:01 PM
~$filename "ghost" files and Normal.doc file mhd Microsoft Word Help 1 June 18th 06 08:50 PM
Importing files drazzil_82 Microsoft Word Help 1 June 8th 06 10:37 PM
Duplicate Files John Flatley New Users 1 December 22nd 04 08:17 AM
Text Form Field Ref in Footer Won't Update on Screen StarWine Microsoft Word Help 3 December 6th 04 06:17 PM