Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
DP DP is offline

Default Protecting a Document

I have created a template for a client of mine. Some clever person at their
office has discovered where the template is kept and has changed the conent.
I want to protect the template so that it cannot be changed. I have tried to
password protect it but when the template is opened and then saved as a
document, the document inherits the read-only attribute.

Is there a way that the template can be protected against changes whilst
still allowing the document to be saved as a normal document with no
protection?

Dawn
Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Jezebel Jezebel is offline

No, there is nothing you can do that can't easily be defeated, even without
cleverness. The better question is: why do they want to change it? Are they
malicious, or do they think the template inadequate?

"DP" wrote in message
news
I have created a template for a client of mine. Some clever person at
their
office has discovered where the template is kept and has changed the
conent.
I want to protect the template so that it cannot be changed. I have tried
password protect it but when the template is opened and then saved as a
document, the document inherits the read-only attribute.

Is there a way that the template can be protected against changes whilst
still allowing the document to be saved as a normal document with no
protection?

Dawn

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
DP DP is offline

They disagree with the content of the template so have taken it upon
themselves to change it. The Manager does not want this person changing it
and not telling anyone which is why we are trying to protect it. Hiding the
folder that contains the file is no use and he has his hidden folders
displayed. Moving the template to another location is no use as he will just
look at the macro and find the path from there.

Thank you for your reply. Surely there is a way? Does anybody else know?

"Jezebel" wrote:

No, there is nothing you can do that can't easily be defeated, even without
cleverness. The better question is: why do they want to change it? Are they
malicious, or do they think the template inadequate?

"DP" wrote in message
news
I have created a template for a client of mine. Some clever person at
their
office has discovered where the template is kept and has changed the
conent.
I want to protect the template so that it cannot be changed. I have tried
password protect it but when the template is opened and then saved as a
document, the document inherits the read-only attribute.

Is there a way that the template can be protected against changes whilst
still allowing the document to be saved as a normal document with no
protection?

Dawn

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
DP DP is offline

Thank you Suzanne, I hadn't thought of that. This could be the solution I'm
looking for.

"Jezebel" wrote:

No, there is nothing you can do that can't easily be defeated, even

without
cleverness. The better question is: why do they want to change it? Are

they
malicious, or do they think the template inadequate?

"DP" wrote in message
news I have created a template for a client of mine. Some clever person at
their
office has discovered where the template is kept and has changed the
conent.
I want to protect the template so that it cannot be changed. I have

tried
password protect it but when the template is opened and then saved as

document, the document inherits the read-only attribute.

Is there a way that the template can be protected against changes

whilst
still allowing the document to be saved as a normal document with no
protection?

Dawn

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
John McGhie [MVP - Word and Word Macintosh] John McGhie [MVP - Word and Word Macintosh] is offline

Draw his attention to the Policy that says "The manager is your Boss, and
wants the template to remain unchanged.

"You are responsible for ensuring that any document you produce complies
with the template. You must not change the template.

"If you have an issue with that, you can discuss it with the manager.

"If you make any further unauthorised changes, disciplinary action will
follow."

Effectively, what I am saying is that if you allow people to produce
documents, NOTHING will stop them editing those documents without also
preventing them from producing work.

But most people come to work to "do a good job." Almost nobody comes to
work these days to "try to do bad things". Those who do try to do bad
things have to be sacked.

If they're not, the rest of the workgroup/team/company gets the blame for
the bad things. And that's not fair on the people who DO want to work here
:-) And it's not fair on the people who DON'T want to work here, either.
They will never succeed at this job if they sit there hating the work and
trying to change it. Better to get them out so that can go find a job they
do like.

Cheers

On 8/8/06 12:46 PM, in article
, "DP"

"DP" wrote in message
news
I have created a template for a client of mine. Some clever person at
their
office has discovered where the template is kept and has changed the
conent.
I want to protect the template so that it cannot be changed. I have tried
password protect it but when the template is opened and then saved as a
document, the document inherits the read-only attribute.

Is there a way that the template can be protected against changes whilst
still allowing the document to be saved as a normal document with no
protection?

Dawn

me unless I ask you to.

John McGhie
Microsoft MVP, Word and Word for Macintosh. Consultant Technical Writer
Sydney, Australia +61 (0) 4 1209 1410