Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
jezzica85 jezzica85 is offline

Default A master document tip!

Hi everybody,
I've gotten so much good help from here, and first of all thanks to everyone
who has helped me in the past. Now it's my turn--I found out something in
Word 2003 that makes it very easy to create master documents that
automatically update, since the utility in Word that is supposed to do this
doesn't seem to work that well.

What you can do is go to the insert menu and click on "File." Once you
select the file, click on the little arrow next to "Insert" and select
"Insert as link." That inserts an AutoText field that automatically updates
whenever you press F9. So, you can maintain separate documents that will
automatically update in one big file.

This is probably here somewhere, but I thought it was too cool not to
mention, and it took me a long time to figure it out, so maybe I can help
someone save some time. Thanks for listening!

Jezzica85
Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Jezebel Jezebel is offline

Before you get carried away with this, read
http://word.mvps.org/FAQS/General/Wh...ocsCorrupt.htm

"jezzica85" wrote in message
[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
John McGhie [MVP - Word and Word Macintosh] John McGhie [MVP - Word and Word Macintosh] is offline

Hi Jezzica:

Good one! You have indeed cracked one of the secrets.

However, just to avoid frightening women and small children, please do not
refer to what you have created as a "master document". It isn't. It's an
"ordinary" document full of "IncludeText" fields.

And as such, it will not suffer from all the various terminal diseases that
afflict Master Documents in versions earlier than Word 2007 :-)

Well done!

On 8/8/06 1:01 PM, in article
, "jezzica85"
wrote:

[...]

me unless I ask you to.

John McGhie
Microsoft MVP, Word and Word for Macintosh. Consultant Technical Writer
Sydney, Australia +61 (0) 4 1209 1410