Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
[email protected] austindocherty@gmail.com is offline

Default MS Word 2003 Find Function Bug

In a new Word Document having typed One, Two, Three, Four & Five on the
same line, when CTRL+F is selected to begin the Find function; Enter
'One' and it will 'Find' one, this becomes highlighted. Enter 'Two' and
this is found and becomes highlighted. However, Enter 'One' again, it
cannot find it: 'Word has finished searching the document'.

Within the CTRL+F search options, 'All' is selected (instead of Up or
Down) and all items are un-ticked.

If nothing is highlighted it will search up and down for an item,
however, when an item, e.g. 'Two', is highlighted it will only search
'Down' for the next item; as an example: I can Find Three but not One
when Two is highlighted.

I think this might be 'by design' but want to check if anyone else has
noticed this as an issue or has a fix for it.

This was noticed only after realising there is a problem with the
CTRL+F function being unable to find any words in certain Word
documents, even though the word is clearly visible in the document.

Any help is most appreciated in understanding this issue and whether
there is anything that can be done to resolve it.

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

As you have discovered, when text is selected, Find defaults to Down and
searches only to the end of the document. After its failure to find "One"
between the insertion point and the end of the document, it asks you if you
want to start from the beginning of the document, which you would have to do
if you wanted to find it.

wrote in message
ups.com...
[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
[email protected] austindocherty@gmail.com is offline

Thanks for the prompt response Suzanne, although it doesn't ask if
you'd like to start from the beginning again, it just prompts 'Word has
finished searching the document'.

I noticed the main problem we're experiencing stems from one of two
things, Within CTRL+F | More options - the No Formatting button is not
greyed. When this occurs we are unable to search for any word - is this
because it is searching for formatting only?

And I've also noticed the issue occurs primarily on documents that have
been received but not written in a language installed in our MS Word
Languages; e.g. a received document is written in English (UK) but our
MS Word is only checking for English (Aus) or English (US), I noticed
that by adding English (UK) it also fixed part of the problem.

I reckon we're all good now and thank you for your help.

Austin

Suzanne S. Barnhill wrote:

As you have discovered, when text is selected, Find defaults to Down and
searches only to the end of the document. After its failure to find "One"
between the insertion point and the end of the document, it asks you if you
want to start from the beginning of the document, which you would have to do
if you wanted to find it.

wrote in message
ups.com...
[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

Okay, I'm seeing the same thing you are in the described situation. The only
workaround I know of is not to have text selected when you start the search.
You do know, though, don't you, that you can use the browse arrows for Find
Next/Find Previous? Using this, I do get a message "Word has reached the end
of the document. Do you want to continue searching at the beginning?"

ups.com...

Suzanne S. Barnhill wrote:

As you have discovered, when text is selected, Find defaults to Down and
searches only to the end of the document. After its failure to find

"One"
between the insertion point and the end of the document, it asks you if

you
want to start from the beginning of the document, which you would have

to do
if you wanted to find it.

newsgroup so
all may benefit.

ups.com...

WP merge file to Word sstires Tables 4 February 14th 06 06:26 PM
Find function doesn't work in Word 2003 GPa Microsoft Word Help 1 February 4th 06 10:54 PM
Envelope Address GR New Users 5 April 24th 05 09:48 PM