Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
tiffany tiffany is offline

Default Normal.dot

If I have several users using a template, do I need to make sure that all of
the normal.dot are the same on each PC. The issue we are having specifically
is that some people open the template and the toolbars do not open, so open
the template and the toolbars open, some don't open the first time but then
open the next time, and some have to open the toolbars everytime they use
word. We do not have Adobe 7, but I thought perhaps it was tied to the
local "normal".

Thanks in advance!!

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Cindy M. Cindy M. is offline

Hi ?B?VGlmZmFueQ==?=,

If I have several users using a template, do I need to make sure that all of
the normal.dot are the same on each PC. The issue we are having specifically
is that some people open the template and the toolbars do not open, so open
the template and the toolbars open, some don't open the first time but then
open the next time, and some have to open the toolbars everytime they use
word. We do not have Adobe 7, but I thought perhaps it was tied to the
local "normal".

Adobe 7 can cause all kinds of problems. Try uninstalling it and compare the
behavior with what you're seeing now, just to get a base-line. What Adobe is
infamous for is:
- not saving user customizations to their normal.dot
- removing anyone else's (other templates) customizations from view

Cindy Meister
INTER-Solutions, Switzerland
http://www.word.mvps.org

in the newsgroup and not by e-mail :-)

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
tiffany tiffany is offline

Hello, we do not have Adobe 7- we have 6.0

"Cindy M." wrote:

Hi ?B?VGlmZmFueQ==?=,

[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Graham Mayor Graham Mayor is offline

Not only should you not be messing around with other users' normal.dot
files, but they have no relevance to your template. The toolbars, macros and
formatting styles relating to your template should be saved in that
template. If you make any toolbars they contain floating, it will not cause
any disruption to existing toolbars (as some add-ins such as Acrobat 6, will
attempt to write to the same toolbar space).

If you have problematic conditions you can use an autonew macro in your
document template to force on the display of your toolbar.eg

Sub AutoNew()
With CommandBars("Toolbar Name")
..Visible = True
End With